Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday-getting down to business!

We met Oxana this morning. Unfortunately, I was standing in a towel-I had attempted to take a shower but the water would not get warm, I thought for a minute it was getting warmer until I realized it just felt warmer because my hand was numb! (Later we found out how to regenerate the water heater!)
In our apartment every room has a door, a door to the living room, a door to the kitchen, and of course doors to bedrooms and the bathroom but it’s all very tight and there are thresholds to step over between every room. Anyway, I was heading back to the bedroom in my towel when I ran into Oxana. She was in her pajama’s so I didn’t feel quite so awkward. And after getting to know her, I don’t feel awkward at all, she is a spit fire.
She has incredible hair. I LOVE it! Her English is very good but she’s not as fluent as Hanna. (Which is the correct spelling of her name by the way!)
(Hanna & Oxana reviewing our documents at the Notary office)
We ate breakfast and Constantine picked us up to take us to the inspectors. We arrived at a building that seriously, would have been condemned if in the United States. Peeling paint, old asbestos tiles, cracked tiles, missing handrails, piles of garbage in stairwells, seriously, I’ve walked through my share of HUD homes and fixer uppers and this beats everything I’ve ever seen! We climbed FIVE flights of stairs and went down a hall into a office that was miraculously nice! Pale pink wallpaper, newer officer furniture, plants in the windowsills, it was like a whole different world from the rest of the building.
Oxana talked a mile a minute to the inspector woman, they asked for our passports. Then she asked me to tell me about my other children. I whipped out my photo album and she recorded names and ages of our children. Then she asked the golden question. “Why, when you already have four children would you want another one?” Again, I told her how I had felt someone was missing in our family. That seemed to suffice.
Then we were off to the “boarding” school. We went into Naydia’s office where she showed us pictures of her trip to Salt Lake, and memorabilia. It was so funny to be half way around the world and see a Murray High coffee mug!


It was fun to show Hannah the Salt Lake books and pictures Naydia had.
A different inspector showed up as well as Anya-the attorney for the orphanage. Anya looks about 20 and had on a black taffeta dress that ballooned out and the gathered up, kind of like a parachute. Something that girls back home would wear to a semi formal-only if they were brave!

(In Naydia's office, the inspector is in red, I wish I had a picture of Anya!)

Alex came in and sat between James and I. He was asked if he liked the time he spent at our home. “Da”. Did he wish to be adopted “Da” then lots more was said but what we got was that they were explaining his rights and that we will be his Mama and Papa and he will need to obey us and that he would have dual citizenship until he is 18.
Then Ivan was brought up and they’ve decided to have Ivan write and notarize a letter that he is okay with us adopting Alex and he has no way to care for him. They’ve decided that this is best in case the judge asks Alex if he has a brother. Naydia called Ivan and he agreed to write the letter.
Now, I’m sitting at the Notary’s office. There is a Notary on every corner here. I’m not sure what we’re doing but notarizing something that was signed as this last meeting. Then we’re going to lunch and from there, I really don’t know what we’re doing. I know Alex is having a medical exam as we speak. He wore the same clothes again today. When we came out of the office there were children in the hall. The only child we recognized was Luba. We told her we had a gift from her parents and would bring it tomorrow. We know that Masha and Nastia are with their grandmother for the holiday and probably won’t be back until next week. We did see Tolik and we saw Sodeberg’s Julia but we were driving by in the car as she was heading into the building.
Hopefully tomorrow we can visit with more children and take pictures and give gifts.
It’s so cold here. I have my long underwear on under my jeans and sweater. Supposedly, it’s not usually this cold in March. It’s not bitter cold but just cold and dreary. Very dreary! I hope to get some video of our apartment and the complex and buildings. I’ve always known I was blessed to be born in the US and live in Utah, I just didn’t know how blessed until now.
James is having a rough time with his back and the bed we’re sleeping on isn’t helping. My only complaint (besides the lack of a shower this morning and the feeling of missing out on conversations that I can't understand) is I have crick in my upper left shoulder blade. Probably from sleeping in the car hunched over but it’s not too bad.
So, after the notary, I’ve learned the papers go the social worker who has to approve them and then to the Mayor of the city who has to sign them and then back to Kiev where they can be for up to five days, then back here where a judge will set up a date for court! Whew!
We went back to the “boarding school” and Alex was still at the hospital so we got on the Internet (see today’s earlier post) then went down to what appears to be an exercise room with a large carpet, treadmill, elliptical, sit up bench, two children’s bikes and one of those belts that shake your fat. Alex came shortly and we had a great visit. We were served cake and herbal tea by the assistant to the director. She expressed her gratitude to us for adopting Alex and told us what a good boy he is. Her face was so full of joy and gratitude. Then I showed her pictures of my other four and her face dropped and she said “She already has four? Oh my G*d. Heroic Mother!” Hanna just laughed so hard she had a hard time translating for me!
Alex ate another banana and did 20 minutes of Rosetta Stone (thanks Paul for this!) and then watched Popeye. He sat close to us and you could tell he was enjoying being with us. I jokingly asked if we should come back tomorrow? “Da.” (Did I mention that despite his very orphan looking clothes that he is just so dang cute? Like squish the stuffing out of him cute??)
Tomorrow we’re suppose to be able to see all the other children (besides Masha and Nastia) and deliver gifts and see the other buildings.
Alex made a special point to not only sincerely hug me goodbye but hug James as well. James picked him up across his back and swung him around like a helicopter and Alex just laughed right from his belly. I think he's finally figuring out what James is about. FUN!! (I wish I had my video out!) Great visit!
We called Troy & Carlin and they were with Lori & Mike and we were able to give them Straders translators phone number, Victor who is Hanna's boyfriend. Look at all of us American's in Ukraine calling each other on our cell phones!
Thanks Straders for bringing my surprise for Hanna. She will love it!
I’m hoping I can post this later today. If you’re reading this today, then we’ve had success!
Here's a sweet hello from Alex....

4 of my blog friends said something...:

Corbie said...

I loved the bit about James...how priceless. Glad you all are well...

Jen said...

Bummer! They aren't there right now. That's OK. I hope they see you and know that we will be coming just like all the other parents they will see over the next couple of months. It kind of makes me nervous that they are with their grandma that much! Is she really OK with me taking them away? That is just a rhetorical question...

Carlin said...

I'm so happy things are going so well. We didn't get a hold of the Straders and are leaving in the morning. I'm so impressed with how well you have kept track of and written everything!

Andreas said...

James -- are you glad that you're adopting a boy? From Wendy's posts and pictures, it sounds like your outnumbered by 10 to 1! :-D

It looks like you're all having a great time. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Related Posts with Thumbnails