Sunday, March 22, 2009

We finally get to see Alex....

(Saturday the 21st)
Naydia, the orphanage directors husband met us in his car on the outskirts of town and lead us to the orphanage. Which was great because I doubt we would have ever found it!
The building we went in was large and red and rather clean and nice.
Naydia had prepared a nice spread for us of soup, meat over mashed potatoes, cucumbers with sour cream, pickles with onions, cheese and salami, bread, oranges slices, juice and water. It was set so nicely on China. She insisted we seat to eat and just as we did, in walked Alex! I had so wanted to video our meeting but we were not prepared. I didn’t even get to see his face when he first saw us but as soon as I realized he was in the room I jumped up and he ran towards me and threw his arms around my waist and I threw my arms around his head! So the pictures we have are posed but then James started videoing when I was hugging him for the second time-but I didn’t know it. Of course then we had to sit down and eat, Alex had already eaten so he sat on the couch and I just couldn’t eat anything, I just wanted to hold him and sit by him. I whispered to James he’d have to eat a lot to make up for my not eating. Finally, I felt I had eaten enough and went and sat with Lex! His director said he’s been asking everyday “When are my parents coming?” and that he was very excited.


You can tell I was a little excited can't you?


We visited for awhile and we’re told we could visit all weekend in this room but couldn’t visit outside of it as “technically” we were not suppose to see him until Monday. Something about the social worker witnessing the first visit?



We then had to go drop our luggage at our new apartment and so I told Alex we’d be back.
Dniprozerszhynk is it’s most positive light is….depressing. I will post video and you will see for yourself. (So far I have been unsuccessful in getting video!)
Our apartment belongs to Naydia’s daughter and son-in-law, Constantine. I feel like we’ve displaced them. They’ve just remodeled the bathroom and looks like they have new appliances in the kitchen too. It’s small and cramped and we feel a little weird with all their things here. They've cleaned out a closet for us and you can tell they've really tried to make it inviting and accommodating. I’ll just post video and let you see if for yourself.

(Constantine, Natasha & Alina)
Alec went home and we’re now being chauffeured by Constantine, Naydia’s son-in-law. He talks to us like we can understand him, but we can’t. He especially likes to talk to James and James just nods his head like he can understand. It's hilarious! (He's continually saying da,da,da and bobbing his head up and down-and we just keep nodding right along!)
I cannot say enough good things about Naydia’s hospitality as well as Natasha and Constantine. They are very kind and thoughtful. We are blessed to have such accommodating directors and staff.
We went to the grocery store which was about a 10 minute drive and bought a few staples and then found my curling iron upstairs in an appliance store!!
We came back, put the groceries away and went back to the orphanage despite the fact we were so very tired. I told Alex we were coming back and didn’t want to disappoint him. We brought the laptop but couldn’t get Internet so we just showed him pictures of our time in Kiev.
Then we played a few hands of UNO. I was able to ask a few questions about school, life at the orphanage but it was awkward with Constantine there and you could tell Lex was so excited but felt intimidated by all the adults in the room observing him. If it had been just James and I it would have been nicer but then we wouldn’t be able to communicate much.
Ivan and Snezhana are meeting us tomorrow at the orphanage. I’m nervous to meet them. I hope they like us and I hope my translator will keep us in the loop. I told Lex I got them a web cam but that we’d give it to them later when we visit at their house. He seemed pleased to give them a present. Oh….I hope this visit goes well.
Well, we’re back in our apartment, James is snoring on the bed next to me and I can barely keep my eyes open and it’s only 9pm. I’m hoping tonight we sleep through the night.
I’ve been told we’ll have Internet access on Monday so I’ll post all these entires in chronological order.

1 of my blog friends said something...:

Andreas said...

This is so neat. He looks SO happy with you and James!! This is a meant-to-be story!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails