Saturday, May 1, 2010

Friday

Good grief!
Friday was a LONG day.
After getting everyone off to school except Kambree, we left for her MRI. (She an Austin are participating in a research project requiring two MRI's of their brains and paying them $150 each! Easy and much needed money for both of them!)
I had made it to the gym early and knew I had a late night ahead of me so my plan was to take a nap in my car during her scan.
That didn't work out so well as I spent the entire time on the phone.
Kam and I stopped for lunch and I introduced her to sushi at my favorite place. She loved it! We had a great talk and I realized while sitting there across the table that my little girl is all grown up. (That and the fact that the server was all tongue tied taking our order and couldn't stop looking at her!) I dropped her off back at school. Just in time for dance. (Can't miss dance.)
Now my plan was to run to my office to drop off earnest money and then go home and attempt to clean my house for the big Women's Retreat at our home that night.
I got a call while stuck in traffic on the way to my office.
A: Mom?
(I can sense panic in his voice)
Me: Honey, what's wrong?
A: My ear hurts. Loud noise make my ear (insert pounding sounds.)
(I can sense he's on the verge of tears.)
Me:It's okay honey. Where are you?
A: Office.
Me: Alex, I can't get there for ten or fifteen minutes. Go get your back pack and coat on and wait for me in the office.
A: Okay. (In a little voice)
The traffic was terrible. Some sort of construction, it was like time was standing still.
I rushed to the school and the office lady pointed me to the sick room.
There's Alex sitting in the dark with both fingers in his ears, rocking slightly and groaning.
He turned to me with tears in his eyes and tried to explain his pain.
All I can think is last Friday when he went swimming he was complaining about water in his ears and I had him use a cotton swab in an attempt to get it out. But that was a week ago. Could it be swimmers ear? If it's an ear ache how could it happen in both ears at the same time?
I checked him out and we drove straight to the Insta-Care.
I filled out the require paper work. (It always kills me when the ask for family history and I put "unknown" and allergies "unknown". I feel like a fabulous mother. I know nothing about my child's medical history.)
We waited. And waited. Despite being the ONLY people there.
I had him lay his worst ear on my leg and I covered the other ear with my hand. His ears are hot. He has had his fingers in his ears the entire trip as I've been trying to get information and history from him. Has this ever happened before? In Ukraine? Do both ears hurt the same? Did you put anything in your ears? Did anything loud happen? Did you get hit in ear? To which he replies "Huh?" He can't hear me. He has his fingers in his ears.
He slips his fingers back in his ears. Still laying on my lap.
I stroke the hair off his forehead and lean down and kiss it. I can tell he has a slight fever-he rolls his head to look into my eyes. "It's going to be okay Alex. I am going to take care of you. The doctor will help you feel better." For the first time I saw a little look of relief. A look of trust. His past hits me between the eyes. This is unknown to him. Being taken care of. He has never had someone take care of him when hurt or sick. He's always had to take care of himself. Be his own advocate. Worry alone. From what I was able to find out, he has never had problems before with his ears before. He is scared.
His look of relief tells me just so slightly that he trusts me. He knows he is not alone now. I will take care of him. I will make it okay. We will fix it.
We go and sit IN the office and wait. At this point he's removed one finger from one ear and he's telling me that this ear is not as bad as the other. He finds a magazine to flip through and starts pointing out cars he's going to buy me when I'm old. Except he decided he won't buy me red cars because I'll get in trouble in a red car.
The doctor comes in and convinces him to remove his finger from his bad ear. Takes a quick peek and tells us he has a bacterial infection. A bad one in this ear and slight congestion in the other. He prescribes an antibiotic and I pull ibuprofen out of my purse and medicate him immediately.
We head straight to the pharmacy and sit and wait some more. By this time I think Alex is relived he is not dying and or losing his hearing. His fingers are no longer in his ears and he seems to be feeling much better. The ibuprofen has probably started to kick in too.
So I arrive home with him right when school is getting out. It's a mad crazy mess as I try to medicate Alex, (He does not like his bubble gum flavored antibiotic-although Rylee asked if she could just have a a little taste-she loves it!) rustle up dinner, kids to friends for sleep overs, Kambree ready for her big date, crank out a batch of cookies for her after dance plans, and the house in some sort of order before six!
Retreat was a success! We laughed and laughed and ate and ate. And some of my friends stayed until almost two in the morning.
I text Kambree to make sure she's made it to her sleep over. She had a wonderful time. She promises to give me details tomorrow.
Austin and Hayden slipped in late and went to sleep downstairs.
Alex is at a friends. Luckily ear infections are not contagious and I sent a second dose of ibuprofen and antibiotics and he's had no pain or issues since.
Rylee & Devree are also at a friends for the night and I fall into bed.
Today after running to get my produce in the rain at seven in the morning with Jan, I just crashed and slept.
Quiet Saturday. The first in weeks and it couldn't of come at a better time.
Now, I better start figuring out my RS lesson for tomorrow, finding something for dinner and get my house in order for Sunday.
Here's to crazy days, antibiotics mom and daughter lunch dates and finding trust!
May we all have a little of the first two and lots of the last two!

2 of my blog friends said something...:

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Wow sounds like things are busy! I hope Alex feels better soon.

Stacy said...

WOW! What a day. I know those days when you have plans and kids just decide that they have other needs from mom.

Related Posts with Thumbnails