Thursday, May 27, 2010

Umm....Mom??

I thought I'd get a call earlier from Alex regarding his scrapped up knee but figured I was safe after ten am.
Then at eleven the call came.
Alex: Umm....Mom?
Yes Alex.
Alex: Um. I going to school. I no see little rock. I fall down.
Me: I know, Amy told me.
(Silence)
Then
Alex: Here you talk Mrs. Lou.
I asked Mrs Lou if she had seen his knee-no it's bandaged. He won't put weight on it. He doesn't want to go to recess, which is fine she said, he can stay inside and read. I have her put Alex back on.
Me: Alex honey, what do you want me to do?
Alex: I don't know.
Me: Well, why did you call? Is there something I should do? Do you want me to come to the school?
Alex: I thought leg broken.
Me: Oh, Alex, I'm sure it's not broken.
Then I had him stand on it, bend it, straighten it.
Me: See you bone is not broken it's just a scrape and I'm sure it hurts but it's not broken.
A: It really hurt.
Me: I know. Remember when I feel down at church a few weeks ago.
A: No, Mom this hurt more!
Me: Mine hurt bad too, remember my big bruise and it hurt for weeks. You'll be okay. I promise.
(No, I didn't blog about me somehow falling down IN church-right before sacrament meeting started and hitting not only my knee but my nose and my cheek and my dress going up and everyone seeing my underwear and my girls and I just laughing because it was so embarrassing. I actually had to go home and change my nylons and put ice on my nose. Some things you just don't want to blog about!)
A: Okay.
Me: Mrs. Lou says you can stay in and read or you could go to recess and just do something quiet. Are you sure you're okay? I can come up if you want me to.
A: No.
I showered and decided I should just go check it out. Chances are it's dirty and needs some ointment and maybe it is worse than I think? I doubt it's broken but it would be just my superb parenting skills to make him stay in school and find out later I really should have been more concerned.
So I went up to school with regular shoes in hand, bandages, alcohol swabs and ibuprofen.
It was pretty bad as far as scrapes go.
It took FIVE regular bandages to cover it and he sure didn't enjoy me cleaning it. (Luckily we were sitting outside his class and he refused to cry-he has an image to protect.) I got it cleaned up, ointment-ed, ibuprofen in him and bandaged and then he stood up and my crappy bandages popped off so we walked to the office in search of a bigger, better bandage.
He held my hand for just a minute and leaned his head against my shoulder.
Yep, he needed his mom.
I convinced him to put more weight on it-that it was just stiffening up and by the time we got to the office he was almost walking normal. The had some industrial sized bandages and he insisted on removing the crappy/half hanging off bandages himself-as he told me it hurts when I do it-and then we put on the better bandages.
We left the office and he let me give him a big hug and tell him how sorry I was that he got hurt and I know that cleaning his knee hurt. I assured him it was not broken. He nodded and he hobbled back to class.
It really was a pretty big scrape but mostly superficial. You know, that first layer of skin with all the nerve endings and oozing? Yeah, I'm sure it hurts.
Sometimes it's hard to know what to do with Alex. He's so tough about so many things-he can wrestle and take a thumping, fall down a hill and jump right up, yet other things just make him cry like a baby. And I just didn't know what this one was.
(Sigh)
I think we'll retire the Heeley's for a few days.

2 of my blog friends said something...:

Amy Rast said...

I am laughing so hard about you tripping in church. Oh Wendy you are hilarious. Poor Alex and his knee. I love your dialogue. I am also enjoying all of your comments on the Hinkson's blog. Thanks for being in my life and always making me smile.

Lobos Family said...

Katya is like that too - she is so tough about some things and then cries about the little unimportant things! She had been complaining for weeks that her ears hurt and I took her in and they had to squirt water in them to get out the wax. She cried so much that I'm sure that they didn't really get them very clean anyway but now when Katya complains I ask her if it hurts enough to go back to the doctor. She has yet to say yes...

Related Posts with Thumbnails