Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day Recap....

My day started with breakfast in bed made and served by my Alex!
Scrambled eggs-enough for an army. Two pieces of toast and a HUGE orange all served with an economy size bottle of ketchup! (He LOVES ketchup so he's figuring I would too!) Last year he'd been home for less than two weeks when we had Mothers Day and he witnessed Rylee serving me breakfast in bed.
On the tray was the gift he made at school. A picture of him in a homemade frame, a sucker made into a flower and in addition to the first card (at the top of this post) I got a certificate that said
I love you because.....you are the best mom I had.
Since he's had more than one mom that's pretty cool isn't it?
Rylee ate one of the pieces of toast and Alex ate 3/4 of the oranges and half the eggs. (Thank goodness!)
After my breakfast Rylee gave me a back rub and an ear massage. If you've never had an ear massage you are missing out! She commented on how my ear lobes are attached to my head more than hers. Her's are more like her dads. Then she pointed out that mine are more like Alex's. Of course, I said because he's my son! To which Alex replied "Yeah when we get sealed my ears grow to my head like moms!"
We went to church and unlike last year, Alex got up and sang with the primary. My sweet Rylee just started crying right at the first and sobbed through both the Grandma song and the Mom song. Then she sat back down and sobbed some more. She has such a tender heart that when she feels the spirit she is moved to tears and then she cries harder because she's embarrassed that she's crying! So I spent the remainder of sacrament meeting trying to comfort her-to no avail!
After church I was showered with Rylee's gifts. A hand made necklace she made at achievement days (she has a smaller matching one) and a leather #1 key chain that she made at school. (Between Alex's many boondoggle creations, and now this, my key ring is getting pretty big!) Kambree gave me a cute mom necklace and earrings and a pack of gum.
Here's me with both my necklaces on:
Rylee and Alex also gave me flower seeds from primary. Kambree remarked that now I had work to do. (Plant the seeds) to which Alex quickly retorted. "No not today. She work tomorrow!"
Our ward always does a lovely Mom's brunch and this year was no exception.
Then we went home and James made a fabulous salad and we went to a BBQ my Dad had orchestrated and the menfolk did all the work!

BBQ
Brach & Alex pretending to be happy. They wanted to go to our house and jump on the trampoline but we made them stay with us.
This is truly how Alex looked. We call this his Ukraine smile.
Then I asked him for a G.Q. pose...
My beautiful Mom
Here's Syd and Ry eating cake right out of the box!

Jazz & Dev
Kam and James
Austin and our most recent new family member Hunter. My sisters dog.
Rylee & Alex
My mom gave my sister and I slippers. I LOVE slippers. I wear them everywhere. I just figure people can think I'm eccentric. I truly don't care. In fact I look forward to the day when I'm old enough for people to say "Oh, that's just old lady Richhart. She's crazy" and I'll be wearing whatever I want, color my hair blue and wear slippers everywhere of course! It may happen sooner than later. I find myself wearing things like my very old Old Navy jacket that now doesn't have the pull tab on the zipper that has paint AND hair coloring on it. I've tried to replace it but nothing feels the same. It's just comfy. It fits. The same for my favorite purple cardigan that has a hole at the neck and my going on eight year old wallet. I would have never thought I'd get so set in my ways that I can't replace such simple items. I remind myself of my father in law sometimes. He wore the rattiest, old, falling apart jacket. He had bought it at the DI and in my attempt to replace it I had researched it and found it was a Fed Ex deliver man's jacket. Irreplaceable. He liked the angle of the pockets and how his hands fit in them. I thought he was such an odd old man. Now? I'm seeing his side of things. Crazy? Yes. But so what? So, like I said, that title of "Crazy Old Lady Richhart" might come sooner than later!
We went home and I helped Alex with his homework and took a nap. (Sounds of angels trumpeting softly right here!)
After my nap James gave me my NEW DISHES! I had my eye on these dishes for weeks. Darling mult-colored melamine dishes from Costco. Did I NEED them? No. I just wanted them. I finally justified that I SHOULD get them because I could send Kambree to college with my old set. I loved the fact that they don't make loud sounds when plopped on the granite counter tops and because they are just so dang cute!
I knew they were not microwave safe but I figured I could use my old Correlle set for that. BUT imagine my disappointment to learn they were top shelf dishwasher safe only! I started goggling. Yep. Dishwasher top shelf only. The dinner dishes won't even FIT on the top shelf! There is no way I can keep these dishes. They are just not practical. Like I (and my children) are going to HAND WASH the dinner dishes? Please. James is all for returning them. He was disgruntled at the microwave issue and had called me from the store asking if I was sure about them. YES! But the dish washing is not something I can comprise on.
(Sigh)
All in all a very nice Mothers Day. Not too much guilt this year. Lot's of food, family and I didn't bake a thing or do a dish.
(Sigh)
But like Alex said, it's back to work tomorrow.....

2 of my blog friends said something...:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

Looks like it was a great day! Bummer about the dishes!
Can you shoot me an email bnew17 at yahoo dot com?

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails