Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rylee's Dance Concert

I have no idea why this is side ways! I've rotated it and it appears upright but downloads sideways? Anyway, here is Rylee in her dance costume after her performance last Monday.
Getting Grandma hugs
With Alex
With Kam
With Dev
With Grandparents!
Austin was there too but no where to be found during pictures.
He and Hayden and Alex entertained themselves with their I-pod touches and Game Boys until Rylee performed. She was the 23rd dance out of 25!
This morning Rylee and Alex were helping me eat my Mothers Day breakfast in bed and Rylee was sharing how nervous she is to try out for Junior Starlets this week. Alex told her:
Just dance like a rock star!
Rylee: What?
Alex: You will kick their butts!
Nice to have a brother that thinks you dance like a rock star and has so much confidence in you. I didn't know what a joy it would be to watch these two learn how to be brother and sister. They are so sweet. Last week Rylee was having a bad day at school and asked Alex for a hug which he willingly gave. AT SCHOOL never the less!
Rylee asked if she and a friend could go to our local park by themselves a few weeks ago. I don't like her going there with girlfriends yet the next day I let her go with Alex. She called me on it. "Why can I go with Alex and not my friend?" I had to think long and hard on that one. Why? Because Alex is street smart and looks out for her. That's why. I know he wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. He took care of himself roaming the streets of Ukraine for ten years. I know he can take care of himself and Rylee. (Even when he was in the orphanage he did his own thing-scavenging for metal to take to the recyclers, going to the stores, holding his own, he really just came and went as he pleased.) But how to explain that to Rylee?
Then a few days ago Rylee out of the blue said
Ry: I like Alex's Ukraine Mom.
Alex, looking at her in disbelief shakes his head and says: Well, you shouldn't.
Ry: Well, I do or we wouldn't have you!
Alex looks a bit confused so I continued:
Yes, we wouldn't have you as part of our family if she hadn't given birth to you. We should be thankful for her. There's at least one reason to like her right Alex?
Alex: Uh....(not too sure) Okay. (And a shrug.)
It's taken him a while to figure out how to wear this big brother hat but he's getting it! By George, he's getting it!

1 of my blog friends said something...:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

This post made me tear up, thinking of Alex, and my own big brother who used to protect me too. Although I dont think he liked me tagging along as much as Alex seems to like being with his sister ;) What great kiddos you have!

Related Posts with Thumbnails