Friday, September 17, 2010

Checking in...

So...remember that list of vocabulary words for Alex this week?
Well, we were working on them and he just struggled with the word imitate.
So, I started imitating him. He sighed, I sighed, he tapped his pencil, I tapped my pencil. He soon caught on but didn't catch that I was trying to help him with vocabulary.
A: Mom!
Me: Mom!
He turned away, I turned away.
He sighed again, I sighed. I could sense he just wasn't grasping it.
I asked, "Alex what am I doing?"
He turned back towards me with eyes filled with tears.
"Making fun of me?"
"Oh, no honey," and I pulled him onto my lap. "I am IMITATING you!"
The light dawned as he laughed through his tears. 
"Oh." he said.
I reminded him of the time I taught him the word duck by throwing something at him. (I know, I'm not going to win any parenting awards admitting that.) And he laughed again. 
So this morning we were making a last ditch effort to review his vocabulary words and we got to imitate. He hummed, he hawed, then I said "Come on Alex. You should know THIS one!" and again the light and he grinned  "To copy!" 
YES!
He heads to scout camp for an overnight-er tonight. His back pack is almost as big as him. Its a two mile hike. I hope he doesn't fall over backwards. He came in with it strapped on and asked if I wanted to be a scout? No thanks. Then later he came and rubbed his cheek against mine and sighed and laid against my shoulder and I teased him that he was going to miss his mama. He laughed. "No, I will not miss you for ONE night." I asked if he was sure, that maybe he would cry "I want my mama!" and he laughed. No mom, I will not. Lately he's been so much easier to joke with and be around. He's getting our humor and we're getting his. 
He's very protective of Rylee. Rylee had a guy friend from school drop by out of the blue and he was very concerned. Almost like a father-hen or I guess that would be a father-roster? It made me laugh. Rylee is really going to be in for it in junior high and high school with Alex looking out for her. 
I forgot to blog about Alex's talk in church. He did really well. I always remind my children to speak slow and loud enough for grandpa to hear. My dad is hard of hearing and we're lucky enough to be in the same ward. Alex walked up to the mike, leaned into it and in a deep, low voice said "Grandpa....can you hear me?" The congregation laughed as my Dad nodded. He bore a sweet testimony at the end of his talk saying he was thankful for his family and the scriptures and that he can come to church and learn about Jesus. 
Chalk that one up to a Parent Pay Day! 
Another P.P.D. I need to mention is about Austin. He doesn't read my blog so I'm safe as he would be embarrassed that I wrote about this. I have been trying to ask the kids each night to tell me a nice thing they did for someone else during the day.(With hopes that they'll look for opportunities to do nice things and make it a part of their character? I know, maybe not. But it's worth a shot right?)  I usually get crazy answers-especially from Austin-like,  "I was nice to not hit/make fun of/punch so and so when they did this or that." Last night I hadn't asked for a nice thing report but Austin shared that he thought he was in trouble during school that day. He was asked to go into his PE teachers office after class.  He wasn't sure what he had done but he knew getting called into the office wasn't a good thing but it turned out he wasn't in trouble. 
So I had to probe, well then why did you get called in? He was called in because they had been playing baseball in class and had a handicap student pitching and Austin had swung at all his pitches-despite the fact they didn't make it to the plate-and he obviously struck out. The teacher complimented him for being a good sport and taking the strikes without complaining. 
Awww....that's my boy! It warms my heart to hear these stories. I always hear-through the neighborhood grapevine-when he's being mischievous. Nice to hear some good stuff. (Note to self: Don't be that neighbor that tattles on the teenagers. Be the neighbor that tells the frazzled mom that her prankster teenage son did something GOOD!)
I need to keep my note to myself in mind as I serve in YOUNG WOMEN'S! Yes, that's right. I am no longer the 2nd counselor in Relief Society but the 1st counselor in YW's. I couldn't be more thrilled! I will be over Devree's age group and working with many of my ward friends! So excited. I hope they don't think I'm old and fuddy-duddy. I remember thinking woman my age were exactly that when I was a young woman. Funny, how your body say's "Yes I'm 41" but you spirit is still in its early twenty's! Now if I could just get my energy level to agree more with my spirit and not my body!
Happy weekend everyone!

9 of my blog friends said something...:

Michelle said...

Love the post! Especially how Alex started his talk. What a sweet boy! And Austin, too! Parent pay days come because you worked for them! You are such a great example of a great parent! Way to go!

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

You sure have a bunch of awesome kids! I love the Alex-ism!
What are these wards you speak of?

Wendy said...

Deborah-A ward is basically the people in our are that we go to church with. Outside of Utah instead of wards, we have branches, so a certain area of one State or county or area all meet together to worship. In Utah we have so many members (Mormon's or members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints) that we're broken up into wards. My ward consists of a a three blockish area. We have roughly 150 families in our ward. My parents live on our street so they are in our ward. Does that make sense? Sorry. You asked me about missions awhile back and I promised to respond but I didn't.(I actually meant to write a blog post about it for you but was a slacker!) All our worthy young men are expected to serve a two year mission proselyting when they turn 19. Young women may elect to go when they turn 21 but they only go for 18 months. This is completely voluntary and the parents support the missionary's while serving. They are called to all parts of the world-in fact if you want to invite some over to dinner for some of Ray's fabulous cooking-I assure you there are some serving over your island. Just let me know!
Please don't hesitate to ask more questions, I take for granite that everyone knows what I'm talking about having been raised LDS and in Utah my entire life!
~Wendy

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

I love love love hearing about this stuff. Thank you for taking the time to explain. Our friends are Orthodox Jews and I ask questions about her facebook statuses all.the.time.
So, are the boys, eh hem, men expected to take time away from college years to do the mission?
Are LDS the ones that knock on the doors? They always go to Franks but NEVER come to my house, and I get so bummed. I almost chased 2 down one time because I wanted to hear what they have to say! LOL!
I cant believe ho wmany families are in your ward with just 3 blocks! Is EVERYONE Mormon in your neighborhood? Do they all use the same church and just go at different times or are there many Mormom churches in your city?
Sorry, Im so nosey, I love learning about different religions...

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

PS As soon as we get back from UA, I would love to have them over, we have seating for 8 at our table and Ray loves to serve... Our friend Nephi's mom was Mormon, but I dont think he is (anymore)... other than that, I dont know of anyone around here... but we'd gladly open our doors :)

Wendy said...

I love to answer questions!
Yes, young men are expected to put college and careers on hold and serve and parents support them financially. My husband served in Washington DC, two of my brothers served in Brazil and one in China. My son is taking German in school and sort of hoping for a German mission but calls come through the first presidency and you go where you are called. No questions asked. A cool story. A boy was called to Ukraine but had to have surgery or something that made him return to the states. He finished out his mission in Utah BUT he just happened to be the missionary serving in my friends area and taught her newly adopted daughter the discussions (missionary lessons) in Ukraine. The Lord works in mysterious ways.
MANY people are LDS in Utah but not all. I would say about 70% of my neighborhood is LDS.
In our ward house three different wards meet. We have the 9-12pm block, then there's a 11-2pm block and a 1-3pm block. We rotate each year. Next year we get the dreaded 1-3 block.
Our STAKE is made up of eight wards but all of these wards are within a 5 mile radius? (Correct me on that any of you ward members that read this blog.) However, outside of heavily Mormon populated areas, wards (or branches) can be miles and miles wide or cover entire counties.
Next time you see those young men in white shirts and ties, your run out and grab them. They are always hungry, and would love to meet you! Or if you really want them to knock on your door go to this website. http://www.mormon.org/missionaries/
Love,
Wendy

Wendy said...

Hahaha! I bet your friends mom IS Mormon because the name Nephi comes from the Book Of Mormon!
Too funny!

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

AHAHA They will probably be afraid of the woman chasing them down! But that is still something I would totally do... any chance to learn, Im a nerd like that :)
Given Nephi's lifestyle, I dont think he practices any religion, but when his mom passed away her obituary mentioned being part of a Mormon church...
Thanks for the info... Im feeling smarter by the second :) See, my blogging is worth something... mwahaha.
I am going to find out if there is a way to invite some of the mission men over. Do they get to go home for holidays and such?

Wendy said...

Nope, they're there for two years straight. No going home. They can write and email and call home on Mothers Day and Christmas. Most these young men really mature and learn lots of life lessons on their missions. Keep me posted and let me know how the dinner goes....who knows, maybe you'll get some that speak Ukraine?

Related Posts with Thumbnails