Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What do you think?

Hello Internet!
It's time for a quiz.
Can anyone give me the definitions of these word:

setae
fjord
isthmus

?

What do these words all have in common?
They are three of Alex's vocabulary words this week. Along with oasis, absorb, concentrated, erode, gulf, innovation, and one more that I have forgotten.
Uhh.....I consider myself pretty well read-or at least a little above average in my vocabulary usage- although I can't spell worth a darn-and I didn't know those first three words. (Well, I have heard of fjord but wasn't quite sure what it was exactly. Heck, spell check doesn't even know the first word!)
I'm thinking-out loud here-a boy just learning English and only being in the country sixteen months should perhaps work on words that he will actually use in a sentence?
Hum.....
What do you think?
I'm going to talk with his teacher today but I wanted to get your input!

Thanks Internet!

1 of my blog friends said something...:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

I know what they mean but only because I was an education major in college and got to relive my elementary school years. I had so much fun re-reading textbooks and remembering all I had forgotten. Would a typical person know these words? Probably not...

Related Posts with Thumbnails