Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lunch, Arriving Orphans, Stick Ball, & Rambling.....

Ahh...lunch!
Cheap therapy!
Thanks ladies for lunching with me today. ( A big thank you Christy-you really didn't have to!)  It's so nice to hear how your children are doing, how every one's adjusting and realizing that we all have similar issues and concerns. It's always nice to talk with the new mom's and realize just how far you've come with your child. Or just how far your child has come regardless of how much you might have messed up!
The new group of children arrive in October and this year I'll be a captain over an orphanage.  When we met for our first meeting they passed around pictures of some of the children that have not yet been placed in homes and I got a little worried. I didn't want to look. Having such a witness when I saw Alex's picture just over two years ago-knowing he was suppose to be our son-I got a little nervous. I'm not ready for round two! (And thinking I will never be! ) I did manage to make it through the stack of pictures without any tingles and/or heart palpitations.
Whew.
However, if YOU are feeling a bit sweaty palmed knowing that FORTY FIVE Ukraine orphans are arriving next month and need hosting families, perhaps you should let me know and I'll get you hooked up with  the chance to glance through the stack of beautiful, parent-less children.
Even if you're not in the position to adopt but would like to give your home grown children a little empathy, appreciation, and bigger picture of the world, you might want to think about it. (But be careful. You might just fall in love, jump through crazy international adoption hoops and travel 1/2 a world away to make them your own!)
I'm excited to be a "captain" with my BFF-Ukraine adventure friend-Amy. We're co-captaining the bigger of the three orphanages. Good thing because her girls are still fluent-unlike Alex-and when families call with "Can your child talk to this child and tell us what they're asking?" and Alex gets on the phone and tells me he can't understand-they talk too fast-I'll send them to Lena and Sara for translation!
I am currently watching Alex out my window inventing a game with the neighbor boy involving a ball and some sticks. Sort of like hockey? I'm a little worried about my windows but I think the ball is actually a wad of paper and not a real ball? Not sure. How funny. All the toys and gadgets and he's back to playing with sticks and garbage.
Alex told me this morning-when I warned Rylee not to get burned on the hot french toast pan-that I am a "safe mom". It's funny what he appreciates. Things like being safe, or making a new job chart. Really. What child thanks their mom for a new job chart or for reminding them to be safe?
 Kambree is coming home this weekend! 
When I announced it to the other children they all cheered! It will be eleven days since we've seen her last. That sounds much shorter than it feels. I'm glad she's only two hours away instead of twenty!
James is off to work. Boo. THREE long weeks. He's covering for another guy so he can attend his daughters wedding. Pretty important and the extra money will be nice but only having him home for six days.....not so nice.
Homecoming is quickly approaching and I can't convince Austin to go. It would help if his friends had plans to go but it's come up so quickly-September 11th-I think most boys are bagging it. Grrr.....
Well, I should be making dinner or something more domestic like that and I really sat down with nothing particular to say and have managed to ramble about nothing in particular all this time.
Wow. Such talent!

10 of my blog friends said something...:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

Can people way out back east host? ;)

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

Oh I'm sorry. I don't think so. They fly into SLC and they have chaperon's that want to see where they are living and see them at the actives. Dang it! You would be perfect....I mean you're already heading to Ukraine....why not get two??

Heidi gail walls said...

Hey sounds like things are busy.. That is exciting Kambree is coming home this weekend. It will be fun for all you to be together. Hopefully James will get to see Kambree the next time she comes home since he will be at work this time. We love you all!

Lori said...

So sad I missed lunch. I think I worked in the yard for eight hours. The wind and hail storm last Monday morning wreaked havoc. Who all came?

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

Bummer. Im hoping for 2 or 3 ;) But while we waited, this could have been fun :)

Wendy said...

Lori-There was Jen, Amy A, Carlin, Christy, Ann & Me! We missed you but totally understand. Good luck tomorrow. I'm sure everything will be beautiful-especially the brides mom!

The McEacherns said...

I was going to ask the same thing as Just Another Day in Paradise! We're not quite so far from Utah (Phoenix, AZ) but too far for them to attend activities regularly!

Wendy said...

McEachens-You aren't quite as far away-but you're right. Too far for the activities-regardless I'll run it past the present of the foundation. Who knows? I do know only sibling groups of 2 and three are left and these children are considerably older than your sweet girl. (I had to go lurk your blog-I think I've been there before? Good luck with your home study Friday!) Let me know if you're serious and could get back and forth to SL roughly Oct 18 and then Nov 3rd or 4th.
JADIP-I'll ask for you too but I'm afraid they'll nix the plan for both of you due to distance. But it can't hurt to ask right?

Wendy said...

Uhhh...that should have read president of the foundation. Not present. I wish I had grammar check in addition to spell check!

Related Posts with Thumbnails