Dear Internet,
I'm sorry. I didn't wait long for your response. (Thanks Deborah-I got yours!) I was walking the kids to school and thought "Hey, I'll just go talk to Alex's teacher right now!" And I did.
Guess who is in charge of Alex's vocabulary from now on??? Yep, me. It was my idea. I've been scouring you (the Internet) for vocabulary lists and finally found one I think I'll use all year. It's a 3rd grade level-right about the level he reads on and I love that the definitions explain the word in simple sentences-not like the dictionary. The point is that he learns and understands the word....right? So here is next week's list.
coincidence-When the same things happen at the same time.
pleasant-Something that is pleasant is enjoyable and makes you happy.
modeled-If you modeled something, you showed it so other people could see it.
murmured-If you murmured something, you said it softly so people could hardly hear it.
loyal-Someone who is loyal sticks by you in good times and bad.
recited-If you recited a poem, you memorized it and then spoke it aloud.
trudged-If you walked slowly as though your feet were stuck in mud, you trudged.
gushed-When you were excited about something and talked a lot about it, you gushed.
frustrated-When you try and try to do something and cannot, then you might feel frustrated.
imitated-If you copied what someone did or said, you imitated him or her.
Cool huh? We'll just replace his ten very difficult-never going to use-can't say or comprehend words-for this list of ten words that might actually come in handy! I've already made up a quiz and sent it to the teacher for him to slip in to replace the other vocabulary quiz next Friday. So look at me....home schooling while Alex is IN school. Best of both worlds!

7 of my blog friends said something...:
Is it a coincidence that you trudged to the school and murmured your frustrated thoughts to a loyal educator in such a pleasant way, and rather than getting frustrated, you imitated her desire to teach the children better, and she gushed over your modeled list of recited words? Excellent work!
A+ for you Andreas. Great idea Wendy. What's the site you found for your vocab words? great idea too for Alex's blog. Wish i would of thought of something like that. Perfect way to learn and increase English.
WOOHOO!!! Love that idea! Individualized education at its finest. It makes for a much more meaningful year in school when you actually understand and can practice what you are learning. Bravo, Mom!
Great idea. I'm going to talk to my Alex's ESL teacher and see if he'll incorporate MY spelling and vocabulary words into his tests. So far I've seen neither happening. What is your site for the vocabulary words?
P.S. Love Andreas's above sentence!
Ha, ha, ha! I loved your comment Andreas!
Here is the web address ladies!
http://eb035.k12.sd.us/Vocabulary%20Lists.htm#Lesson%201
And Lori-Our ESL lady FINALLY sent home something I appreciated. A note book with little tabs with each subject where Alex is to write down any words the teacher uses that he does not understand and then look them up, write the definition and draw a picture. I mentioned this to the teacher and he didn't even know about it. (Alex just got it on Friday!) AND he's still not being pulled out for speech of with the counselor as agreed upon in his IEP. Speech teacher was out today so I'll be stopping in again tomorrow. They're going to be so tired of me at the school!
That is FABULOUS!! Way to homeschool at school!
Post a Comment