Thursday, September 30, 2010

Seriously. I don't make this stuff up.

Alex just couldn't think of of a thing to write in his journal yesterday. He was just stumped. What could he write a WHOLE page on? (Keep in mind his has a small journal-a whole page is about eight sentences-tops!)  I started making suggestions:
Write about Bogdan-his friend getting adopted in the next few weeks.
No
Write about Dad.
No.
Not your Ukraine Dad but your American Dad.
No.
Write about you day. (Which is usually what he writes about.)
No.
Write about your hurt lip. (Cold sore)
No.
Make up a mystery.
No.
Write about what you want to be when you grow up
No.
Write about what kind of Dad you'll be when you grow up.
No.
And the list went on. He shot down all my ideas, one after the other. Finally I said,
"Alex, why don't you just write about you favorite thing in the whole wide world."
With exasperation he says, "Mom! That will be short!"
"Why? What will you write?"
"I will just write MOM!"
Awww....that's so sweet. 
I had to hug him and then asked him why he loves me so much? He shrugged. (See? Hard time verbalizing his feelings.) In an attempt to help him come up with "you're nice" or something generic yet expressive. I said "Is it because I'm mean and yell all the time?"
He rolls his eyes, "No! If you were I wouldn't write about you!"

He ended up just writing about things he's grateful for. (His idea)**
Watches-it helps you know the time
Arms-because it is not cool when you have someone's arms? (Not really sure where he was going with that one.)
Mom-helps me all the time
His own bathroom-it is not cool when you go to the bathroom with different people (Note: he does not technically have his OWN bathroom but shares with his sisters.)
and then a little tribute to his favorite thing in the world....me!
**This was a prefect entry without any spelling or grammatical errors. The 2nd one ever! After the first one a couple of weeks ago, he made his own deal: If he writes ONE HUNDRED perfect entries then I will no longer read and correct them. I'm good with that! In fact I would have suggested 25 entries but he threw out the 100 so....okay.
The bathroom comment brought to light that there were no stalls in the orphanage. Just rolls of toilets-and not toilets like we have, the ones you stand on and squat over and how you just had to do your business with others squatting beside you doing their business. 
"Yuck." I said.
To which Alex said, "See? I told you not cool!"
Then he told me about how they wore uniforms to school,  the boys wore white shirts and jackets and the girls skirts. They had to change before lunch.(Which would explain why I never saw these uniforms-we weren't allowed to visit until 2pm-after lunch) The boys and girls would all change in the same room. He was disgusted about that. He was also disgusted that all the boys showered together. Big and little. He nonchalantly says,  "I didn't like guys looking at my p.enis." (He can freely talk about his privates but cannot tell me why he's upset when he cries? He's such a puzzle.)  The big kids would take the little kids shampoo and stuff and hit them when they showered. There was adult male supervision but apparently not GOOD supervision.

Yes, having your own bathroom is most defiantly cool and something I think I will appreciate more!

We sent gifts with the Moore family. (They leave on Friday for Ukraine-Danielle promises to blog so follow their adventures with me-they're on my side bar "Moore the Merrier". Cute blog address huh? They are adopting Alex's little friend Bogdan and another boy named Ruslan.) Some cars and candy for his friend Sasha. Alex had to write his note on Google translator. He wrote that Sasha is still his best friend even though he is very far away. We also printed a few pictures of Alex on the note. (In hindsight I wonder if that was a little cruel? Alex catching a fish, Alex tubing with his sister, Alex building his gun and his fort. I hope it doesn't come across as "look at me and my cool life, sorry you're stuck in orphanage!")  Then at the last minute I thought to send a baby gift to Ivan and Snezhana. Alex was at school and wouldn't be home before I had to hand it off to Danielle so I just sent some updated pictures of Alex and a blanket and burp cloth for the baby. I'm hoping that mailing it IN Ukraine gives it a better chance of actually arriving? Thanks Danielle for being our messenger and best of luck to you! You will be in our prayers!

Big kids are out of school tomorrow and we're going to head down south when James gets home to see Kambree dance during half time at a volleyball game. So excited to see my girl! I will try and post pictures later.

1 of my blog friends said something...:

Heidi gail walls said...

Nice post! tell Kambree we say hi and good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails