Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why didn't I think of this before?

I mentioned before about Alex and his purchasing of 25 cent books?
Well, the school library must be cleaning out their shelves again.   He came home yesterday with a big DICTIONARY. He was so excited. He asked me if I knew that an "ass" was another word for a donkey? Yep. I did know that and apparently he does now too.
Then he informed me that he is going to give me a quiz on the four new words he learned that day in his dictionary.  (Ass was one of them!)
Bring it on Alex! I love it!! 
(And I happen to have a pretty good word usage vocabulary!)
I knew the four words he randomly picked out during school yesterday (Yes, he picked out four random words, studied them and then came home, looked them up -actually remembering them - and quizzed me on them! ) Then he started quizzing me on the presidents of the United States. Oh dear. I did pretty good for the first few, with the help of him giving me initials I got to Abraham Lincoln - more or less (I kept saying "Abraham Lincoln" after the first five but apparently I have forgotten that Abe wasn't in office until #16!)  then we skipped up to more current presidents until we hit Ronald Regan who was currently in office when the book was published. (Yes, that would be sometime in the 80's - it's an old book, hence the 25 cent price tag!)
He came down and quizzed Rylee and me on measurements, temperature & time while I made dinner. (We are terrible at metric measurements and Celsius but we did okay with inches & feet and Fahrenheit and Rylee did better than me on a few things!)
This is amazing! Why didn't I think of this sooner. Let HIM be the teacher? 
Why?
Because if I had thought of it, he would have still hated it. But since it was his idea? He loves it!!
He quizzed Devree and her friend then my mom came over and he tried to quiz her too!
He's learning and he doesn't even know it!
For FHE Devree and her cute friend Emily practiced giving us a lesson on Howard W Hunter. They have to give a lesson in seminary today. They did a great job. Afterwards we played "Headbandz" a game where you wear this silly looking head band and have a card of a who, what or where on your head that you cannot see and you have to ask yes or no questions and guess what card is on your head. Rylee has been trying to get us to play this game for days. 
When she told me she wanted to play it, I told her I didn't think Alex could. She showed me how some of the cards are marked with stars and are easy. Like "doorknob" and "nose". Okay. We'll try it. One thing Alex is, is a good sport. (Now that is.)   
Rylee's first card was "Jackass" and Alex was so excited because he knew what it meant thanks to his new 25 cent DICTIONARY!
If you cannot guess your card in one minute of yes or no questions, you get one more minute and everyone gives you one word clues. Alex did pretty dang good at that part too. Giving the clue "Ocean" for my card "Atlantis". 
We all managed to get all our cards figured out with the one word clues. However, Alex just happened to draw the Abe Lincoln card and it did NOT have a star on it, it was a normal card.  I told him I KNEW he could get this. He asked his questions, narrowing it down to a dead guy, in America and a president and then asked, "Is he the 16th president?" "Yes!" "Abe Lincoln?" "Yes"  He got it without any one word clues thanks to our quiz that afternoon. You should have seen Kambree's look of surprise! 
Priceless!

This morning he looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and told me he had packed his "Dictionary" and it going to learn four more words today and come home and quiz me.
I tried to look concerned.
Teeheehee......

2 of my blog friends said something...:

Michelle said...

That is so GREAT! Way to go Alex!!

Stacy said...

Awesome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails