Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers Day Memories....

 Two years ago I celebrated my first Mothers Day as a mother of FIVE children.
It was pretty traumatic for Alex:
Here is the post about the day:

But then he had only been home a week or so and everything was traumatic.
Taking a bath
Losing at video games
Going to school
Doing the dishes
It was all traumatic and filled with tears and drama.

My how times has changed.
Last night the girls and I were watching a "girl" show (according to Alex)  in the family room so, Alex had asked for permission to watch  a Jackie Chan (pronounced "Chackie Chan" by him) cartoon in my office. Around eight o'clock he popped his head in and told me he was going to go take his bath. Pretty soon we heard a noise and Devree hit mute on the TV. Alex was signing at the TOP of his lungs in the shower. Like belting it! Something about America. (A song he's learning and performing with his class for 6th grade promotion.) It was hilarious. And he just kept singing and singing. Finally I just had to sneak up there with the video camera. This really needed documentation. While standing in the dark hallway recording his crooning he decided to kick it up a notch and sing it in a high falsetto voice. I was trying so hard not to giggle in the hall and alert him to my secret taping. I quickly hurried downstairs before he exited.
When he came down all squeaky clean the girls applauded.
He came into the kitchen where I was downloading the video onto my MAC and hearing himself on the video, grinned at me.
"I'm going to sing you that song for promotion Mom!"
"Really? I love it!"
Then with a dry and deadpan voice he says
"Don't put that on your bog!"
(Which was my intent! Oh....he knows me so well!)
So, sorry my friends. 
I've been denied the permission to share with you the joyous, singing of my son.
My boy.
Now, I have heard Alex sing before. That in itself is not new. He hums, whistles and sings with his I-pod on. He loves music. But this was different.  The freedom and comfort he felt to sing like that made me realize that he was home and that he knew it! He felt so at home that he could just sing at the top of his lungs.
Wow. 
What a difference two years can make.

2 of my blog friends said something...:

Erica said...

"What a difference two years can make." I'm holding on to that statement for dear life.

Christy Hinkson said...

I want to see that video. He didn't say that you couldn't show it a the next lunch :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails