Last night Alex got invited to go fishing with my Dad and brother. Only problem is he took a day off of studying for his birthday so, he knew he had to study today and Saturday to make up for it. My Dad had called asking me about it and I told him I'd see what I could work out. Alex came home from mowing my Dad's yard and said nothing. I asked about fishing and if he wanted to go.
"Yes."
"Then what are you going to do about your studying?"
(Remember he's getting paid to study? But only if he studies five times a week-each missed day cost him $5-no exceptions-except Scout camp. I know. Sort of harsh but everyone has coddled Alex since coming to America and I need him to learn responsibility, an honest work ethic and that sometimes life isn't fair. Hard lesson to learn-hard lesson to teach.)
Alex suggested he do his studies when he gets back? But that won't work as it will be late in the day Friday and Devree's birthday and I cannot drop everything to work with him. (Trust me, his studies are MY studies.) I threw out the idea, "You could do it right now?" It was 2:30 pm Thursday. He had no plans although he studied earlier in the day he had spent a few hours playing as well. Without missing a beat he said, "I don't want to go then." Seriously. Just like that. He had nothing better to do but couldn't see past the nose on his face that by putting in the time and work NOW he could have a fun, free from study day of fishing. Something he really wants to do.
I told him that was his decision but that I thought it was a bad decision. He shrugged. He seemed pretty convinced he was going to stick with his decision. Okay, I said, you'll be sorry tomorrow when you're stuck home studying and you could have gone fishing but it's your choice. (I know I'm sending him on a guilt trip-I'm pretty good at it-just ask my other children!)
He sighed.
"Okay, I'll study."
Once he got into it, he got so excited. He kept talking about how tomorrow he didn't have to study and how excited he was to go fishing. He got everything done in recored speed and still had time to play a bit before bed.
I woke him up at 5 this morning and he rolled out of bed, ate some breakfast and headed down to my dad's.
My mom and dad gave him his own life jacket for his birthday. (Thanks mom & dad!)
I don't know but I think based on that grin-and the size of that fish-that he's glad he studied last night!

2 of my blog friends said something...:
I am so glad Alex got to go Fishing with your dad. And that he get's to have alot of good experiences.
When Sara saw this picture of Alex she wondered if he had head bugs. Lol! I just had to share.
Post a Comment