Last night I took the kids (three out of five) to the pool for "Inflatable Night". (The one night once a month during the summer they allow inflatable blow up toys in the pool.) I calendared it-determined to go-and it's a good thing as things kept popping up and I had to keep reminding everyone "We're going to Inflatable Night!"
Well, it was from eight to ten and I decided to NOT wear a swimming suit and just go as the "fun" parent that I am and watch and read my book.
My book was a bomb-as in not interesting or good-unlike the modern day definition of " the bomb" as in, "He's the bomb!". That's suppose to be a good thing now days?
Anyway, I digress.
I was quickly bored and getting cold. (Funny, I just blogged about how hot I was two days ago!) I called James to pass the time.
We got to talking and he was telling me how he thinks that people with hardships, trials and handicaps are going to find Heaven just so much sweeter than those who have had it easier. Perhaps he's right.
Now, without tempting fate or putting out bad mojo-I think we're pretty blessed. We don't have too hard of trials compared to so many (and I would like to keep it that way). I pointed out that it takes having something hurt or not work to appreciate it. Like a broken toe. Man-alive, you just don't appreciate NOT having a broken toe until it's broken! Am I right or what?
I also pointed out perhaps the sweetness of Heaven has something to do with gratitude?
To this day I never do my laundry without a great sense of gratitude for my dryer.
Seriously.
Every time.
And I do laundry A LOT!
To this day I never do my laundry without a great sense of gratitude for my dryer.
Seriously.
Every time.
And I do laundry A LOT!
Living in Ukraine for six weeks and one day has given me great perspective when it comes to so many creature comforts.
I love my dishwasher, my disposal, the fact that I can rinse my mouth with water right from the tap when brushing my teeth. As much as I hate summer construction on the roads I am so grateful to have streets without potholes and sidewalks without cement chunks sticking up. I am grateful for clean air, landfills with garbage (and not garbage everywhere and anywhere), that we don't have wild dogs running in packs-for the most part and that I can understand the language around me-again for the most part.
Fast forward to this morning: Alex just couldn't think of a thing to write in his gratitude journal. I suggested his eyes, that he can see. Then I went on with his healthy body, his reconditioned bike that his Dad spiffed up for him, his air conditioned house, and the list kept going. "Okay, okay Mom. I got it!" "Alex, there are hundreds of things to be thankful for. You just have to think about it."
Back to last night: Sitting there last night-while talking to James-by the clean, non-contaminated pool on a comfy lawn chair while children clad in colorful swimsuits splashed and played with their parents-or at least their parent is present but observing with book in hand-I couldn't help but compare that scene to the pictures and descriptions on my friends blogs currently in Ukraine. Descriptions and pictures of children walking down a dusty roads in 102+ weather for twenty five minutes to get to the contaminated river/swimming hole complete with moss and rusty nailed boards rigged into diving platforms. Some with dangerous rocks jetting out under bridges as children jump into the water below. Where swimming suits are optional as underwear works just as well and there are no rules, no life guards, and no parents. Where you don't drink the water and if you do, you get sick-well at least the American's that join them. Other friends while observing their soon to be son at camp in Ukraine learned the children were not allowed to put their heads under the water. Seriously. Contaminated water.
How very blessed I am and probably you too.
I not only grew up with a clean, safe public pool but with parents holding out warm towels to be wrapped in, treats to snack on while loving hands reapplied sunscreen and remind me "not to swim until thirty minutes after eating". How blessed was I to have a strong, fun Dad that tossed me in the air and taught me to dive for pennies and made the biggest splashes-even getting the lifeguards wet-with his great cannonball!
How blessed are all children to have a mom (with book in hand or not) to give attention to each "Watch me mom!" "Look at me mama!"
To have a Dad that works hard so they have new swimsuits each season and snacks and admission to the pool.
How blessed are children with parents.
Loving parents.
It's all about perspective and appreciation isn't it?
Don't you think Heaven will be just that much sweeter for not only those without
but for those with gratitude & appreciation?
I sure hope so.
I hope to find more gratitude and love and if at all possible avoid going without or any hard trials and heavy hardships.
(I'm banking on gratitude to keep us safe & make Heaven sweet!)
So that was our casual poolside conversation.
One of James' favorite subjects.....Heaven!
So that was our casual poolside conversation.
One of James' favorite subjects.....Heaven!
Here's to clean, chlorinated water, swimsuits and sunscreen!
May your children get their fill this summer!
May your children get their fill this summer!

1 of my blog friends said something...:
Amazing. So much to be thankful for...
And for those of us still waiting to go to Ukraine... we now have so much to be worried about ;)
kidding... kind of ;)
Post a Comment