Saturday we really went to town cleaning the van. (We're selling it-it's been Kambree's mode of transportation through high school but she's switching to the Saturn for college next month and the van is being sold for something for James with good fuel economy. I just barely traded in the Infiniti for a Toyota Sequoia so that we have car that we can actually ALL fit in AND I can take clients in.) Kambree was at work when we did all this work and I took pictures and put the van on KSL. Kambree drove the van this afternoon and-in addition to noticing that it was clean-she noticed that I had zeroed out the trip odometer. (I took a picture of the dash to show the milage.) She was so confused.
With a puzzling look on her face she asked, "I thought you weren't suppose to do that."
Austin and I looked puzzled and then it hit us. She thinks I zeroed out the milage! Austin ran with that, "Oh yeah Kambree. They put these buttons in the cars to see how honest you are. To see if you'll zero out your milage!" We were laughing. Then I explained that the trip odometer is different from the milage odometer. She laughed with us. By the way, she had NEVER pushed the button in fear of doing something dishonest!
In her defense-she probably gets her car smarts from me-I ran out of gas 24 times the first year I drove my car. No working gas gauge. My poor Dad gave me a gas can for Christmas. Anyway, one day some red light on the dash came so I drove right to the gas station and put in gas. Whew! Drove around the rest of the night with the light on but I wasn't worried because I KNEW I had gas. Mentioned it to my Dad the next day and apparently I was driving around with some belt loose or off or something. I thought he'd be so proud of me for putting gas in the car but he wasn't. He was mad. Geez. Car stuff. Good thing James looks out for me now. I'm sure my Dad is relieved.
This afternoon we bought all of Kambree's text books on Ebay. (Saved almost $100 from the used books available at the college book store. The best deal was her human anatomy book was $210 new and we got a new one for $91-not that we would have bought a new one from the bookstore anyway but it made us feel good to find it for so much less.) So before we began I asked her how/who is paying for books? She's been working really hard and saving ever penny and so far has paid ALL of her drill team expenses. She quickly asked me if I had heard of the "Obama Package"?
What?
"Yeah, the Obama Package is that you can attend any school you want and it will all be paid for."
What?
"Yeah." She says to me. Now keep in mind-Kam's not a super politically involved kind of gal so I'm a little confused.
Me: Obama's going to pay for all your school?
Kam: "Yes. Well, I mean no. You're going to pay for it but it's part of the Obama package. In this case, YOU paying for my books. Obama wants us to learn to rely on other people and let other people take care of us he thinks that American's are just too independent."
She was being very sarcastic of course (and may be ticked that I wrote this on my blog-espeically the odometer story) but I thought it was funny. AND I thought it insightful that this future college freshman-that I never see watching the news-or as mentioned-very politically involved made such a sarcastic-all be it sad-if you think about it-political observation.

1 of my blog friends said something...:
I love that you make having teenage daughters not seem so scary. :)
I remember freshman year bio, the book was $430something dollars. When I went to cash it in at the end of the semester, they offered me $29 for it. I have that book to this day, simply because I refused to get rid of it for such a cheap price... Those things are expensive! Good job finding the deals! I dont know if ebay existed when I was in college...
I laughed at the zeroing out story, and Kambree, dont worry... I thought the same thing for quite a long time! Good for you for being so honest :)
Post a Comment