I have lots to post-we just returned for a camping trip and I went up to girls camp for the day but I had to catch up on some of my favorite blogs and found this article and found it so enlightening that I wanted to share it with all of you.
It's a quick read and gives a HUGE understanding to what older adopted children may think and/or have experienced.
I spoke to Alex about this article and he claimed all though the teachers swore at him and "are nicey-nice to parents and not to children" that no one ever told them they were worthless or deserved being in an orphanage. Whew.
He had heard about the organ thing but didn't believe it for a minute. Another whew!
But I do think he might have felt so very unbalanced when he lost his language about six months after being home. It would be scary to not even understand your thoughts. You would think you were going crazy I think. I argued this with the school-that he was a child WITHOUT a language not a 2nd language learner. Ever so often he'll blurt out a word he remembers in Ukraine but besides "hi" and "bye" and a few random words-he truly cannot speak his language. He understands it to hear it, he just cannot speak back. We've even typed in words on a speaking translator program but they speak so fast he just laughs and say's "I cannot understand that word."

2 of my blog friends said something...:
breaks my heart in two...
Thanks for pointing out that article. It was very insightful. I think we were lucky that the kids came over here first before being adopted - they may have helped them not feel like they were being kidnapped - but so many other things the girl said rang true. I never really thought about how frustrating it would be to not be able to think in a particular language!
Post a Comment