Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Angels & Demons

Angels
Miracles happen in all shapes and sizes. The latest in a string of small miracles happened this week. And it's a pretty big miracle, if you ask me.
We needed to refinance our house and as you all know I'm in the business of selling houses which always (for the most part) involves getting a loan. So I felt like I sort of knew what I was doing and I certainly have connections (as I work with the most fabulous loan officer - if you need a referral - email me!) I knew I needed to refinance some time soon because my second has a balloon and a substantially higher interest rate than current rates but my dilemma was that our first was locked at rate lower than current rates. My goal was to refinance the minute I could get a rate lower or-worse case-equal to the current rate of our first.
I've been waiting for a few months. I sat down and re-worked our family budget and I knew right where my payment needed to be to make our budget work every month. And the rates just wouldn't drop. I was beginning to doubt my well laid plan and then it happened...
Today I locked in at a rate so low that I was able to keep my payment right where I wanted it and get more than half the money we need for this adoption! My original plans didn't involve any money for the adoption-just a lower house payment without a balloon. See, it is a miracle! I owe a lot to the loan officers involved who spend countless hours figuring, and re-figuring and calling and calculating, and pulling strings.
Demons
It came today, the list of documents needed for the Ukraine government. I've decided that I'm just going to have to approach it like this:
ONE DAY AT A TIME
ONE DOCUMENT AT A TIME
Because when I read the list, I get a sinking feeling of despair. Seriously, some of the things they're asking for, I have no idea how to gather. Perhaps it's not the gathering part as much as the notarized and appostilled part that throws me for a tail spin.
Here is just the list of items just on the medical statement that not only have to be filled out with diagnosis, "international codes" (who knew?), stamped by the clinic, signed by the doctor with her license, signed by the chief AND notarized and appostilled.

Dermatovenerology: Skin & sexually transmitted diseases

Psychiatry: Psychological & Mental diseases

Phthisiology: Lungs diseases & TB

General physician examination:

Narcology: Drugs, alcohol or other substances abuse

Reaction of Wassermann (syphilis)

HIV-Infection (Law compliance)

Appostilled you may ask? What is that? I'm not exactly sure (and apparently neither is the spell check program I'm using). I think it's when you take the notarized documents up to the capital for some sort of authentication that the notary you used is current and used the right stamp and signed your papers right? Not sure how the state of Utah will be appostilling for a notary in Louisiana when we get documents from James employer but that is for another day. Tomorrow, I'm heading to Health and Vital statistics for 2 certified copies of our marriage certificate that- you know it-will eventually have that to be appostilled.



5 of my blog friends said something...:

Corbie said...

I have often marveled at the amount of paperwork that people must fill out in order to adopt. And the home studies. And the interviews.

I know there must be some stops in place - some safeguards to protect the children. Still, it is amazing that every day, teenagers leave the hospital with their newborns, ill-prepared and ill-equipped to deal with what lies ahead...and yet you have mounds and mounds of paperwork to fill out.

The Rogers Family said...

I know the paperwork is overwhelming at first, but you are right to take it one day at a time. I'm from the Third group with the Save a Child foundation. We meet every third tuesday of the month at Sweet tomatoes in Sandy. If you would like to come. We have people come from all the groups, and it has been a hugh support. Contact me if you want more information.

Wendy said...

Corbie: Yes! When I had children I didn't have to prove I had health insurance, a stable job, a room for them to sleep in or tested negative for syphilis! I agree it's important to prove yourself to not be a serial killer or drug dealer and I don't even care about all this gathering of documents, it's all the notarizing and appostille that's driving me crazy. (That and the fact that appostille spelled anyway you like doesn't appear to be correctly spelled in any spell check program!)
Arianna: I'd love to come, I comment on your blog for more info!

snakeriverwalton said...

is dermatovenerology sexually transmitted skin diseases? I've never heard that term. i think they made it up.

Wendy said...

Amy:
All of their medical terms do not check out on my spell check program. Somewhere something must be lost in translation. Good thing my doctor is European, perhaps she can figure it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails