Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Boring-est Post of Blogdom!

I went to the appostille office this morning and ran into a few snags. I am blogging this for the other parents following suit. If you are not in the business of international adoption, just disregard this post as it will be pointless to all but those of us jumping through these hoops!
First off, the appostille office is in the MAIN Utah State Capitol Building on the second floor suite #220 BUT you will not be looking for the nice gold suite numbers above the door, you will need to look in the south/east corner of the building and on the glass door are some papers taped to a glass door, ONE of the papers says in rather small font "Suite 220". Note to the wise: wear gym shoes as the walk from the parking lot, through the east building, across the square, up the stairs to the second floor and all the way around the main floor squinting to look for suite #220 takes awhile!
Once I found the place I was sure I would just write my $150 dollar check for my 15 documents to be appostilled and then head jubilantly back to my car with a skip in my step knowing I had FINALLY turned in my paper work!
But, that was not the case. I ran into a few problems.
#1 Was the first question. Do all three notarized papers in the home study need an attached appostile? The answer (after calling Elliana and having her talk to the appostile guy) is YES. (So that's is $20 more to the total)
#2 I brought in two notarized certified copies of my certified marriage certificate. That doesn't work. You need two ORIGINAL certified copy marriage certificates- not copies certified by a notary. Meaning: the notary notarized that they made copies of your original certified copy marriage certificates. (So I made a quick trip to Health & Vital records and $19 dollars and an hour later had what I needed) Note: If you were married outside of Utah you will have to send off to the state you were married in to their state appostille office. Luckily we were married in Salt Lake.
#3 And the worst! The certified copy of my warranty deed could not be appostilled as there is not an original notary signature on the document. (Appostille is sort of like the notary of notaries. They are appostilling the signature of the notary on your document, nothing else!) This is a problem for everyone in Salt Lake County as I asked specifically if I could get a notarized copy of my warranty deed at the recorders office and was informed that a certified copy was best. In fact I called the recorders office while posting this and they told me they only do certified copies not notarized copies. The problem is that Salt Lake County has switched to a new certified system and the paper you pay $9 for at the recorders office has a little blurb at the top stating it is certified with no stamps, seals or original signatures. So after the appostille guy talked to the county recorder the appostille guy sends me to get my certified warranty deed copy certified. Easier said then done, I went to my credit union and they didn't want to copy certify the paper as it appears to be a copy not an original. Finally after talking with the appostille office, leaving messages for the country recorder and talking to the manager of the credit union, I convinced them if I could get someone at the recorders office to confirm via the telephone that the information on the paper is correct. (Meaning, I am the owner of record) could they certify copy it? They agreed. Whew! (I was very nice but between you and me, I wasn't leaving without that dumb piece of paper notarized.) Perhaps you will get a notary that will be less of a stickler? Let's hope!
Then after going back to the State Capital with my precious notarized, certified copied, certified copy of my warranty deed and two ORIGINAL certified copy marriage certificates the appostille guy re-counted my documents, and came up with 19 so $190, plus the $10 for the one I sent to Louisiana for appostille puts me at an even $200. At this point, I don't care, I just want it done right and done right the first time!
Anyway, that's my story. I left at 10:00 am and I got home about 1:30 pm!
And if this post puts you to sleep....I'm sorry, I need a nap myself!



5 of my blog friends said something...:

Michelle said...

Oh my! I would be tired too!

snakeriverwalton said...

I am tired just reading your post.

Corbie said...

What!? I told you I'm a notary and happy to bend the rules to get that boy of yours over here - how did I not get a call??? As far as I'm concerned, those copies were entirely notarizeable :)

Wendy said...

Corbie-
You are so sweet. And had I been even remotely close to you I would have taken you up on that BUT I was downtown at the Capital and thought it would be fastest to run into the downtown branch of my credit union.
Despite my hardships I am happy to announce that I had everything in in 2008 and TODAY I got everything back in the mail! I'm now just waiting on the Louisiana appostille!

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

You know though... It will be all worth it when that little guy is here and he is your's and apart of the family. And you know what? your post did not even put me to sleep! you do such a awesome job with this blog. No worries! All will be well! I'm praying for you all and alexy as well

Related Posts with Thumbnails