Tuesday, December 16, 2008

E-mail from half way around the world!


I got an email from the Ukraine today. I wrote a letter a couple of weeks back to the director as I had not heard from Alexey and wanted to make sure he was okay. I have since then spoke to him and got a letter but here is today's email with my crude translation.

Добрий день, шановні Венді та Джеймс! Пишу Вам від імені директора школи-інтернату № 2 міста Дніпродзержинська. Вона передає Вам свої щирі вітання та побажання здоров’я. Сьогодні отримали Ваші листи для Олексія Бердо. Справи у нього йдуть добре, намагається старанно навчатися, не хворіє. Він написав та відправив Вам вже два листи. Сподіваємося, що вони надійдуть вчасно. Ви маєте можливість зателефонувати йому за номером 80569231450 з понеділка по п’ятницю після 14.00 (згідно часових показників України).Не переживайте щодо перекладу тексту ваших листів – усі вони дуже важливі для Олексія та викликають у нього посмішку. У випадку, якщо Вам необхідно буде передати важливі новини Надії Миколаївні або Олексію, то можете писати на цю адресу.
> З побажанням усього найкращого, юрист школи-інтернату № 2 – Анна.


Good day, dear, and James Venda! I am writing to you on behalf of the school, number 2 City Dnipropetrovsk. It sends you his greetings and sincere wishes of health. Today received your letter to Alex Byrd. Things are good at it, trying to carefully study, not ill. He wrote, and you have already sent two letters. We hope that they will in time. You can call the number 80569231450 from Monday to Friday after 14.00 (under time indicators of Ukraine). Do not worry about the translated text of your messages - they are all very important to Alex and cause him smile. In case you will need to convey important news of Hope Nikolaevna or Alex, you can write to that address.
Wishing you all the best, a lawyer schools, number 2 - Anna.

I'm not sure who Anna is but Hope is the director. I (of course) emailed back. Although this is not how my original email was written here is what I sent after translating back into English. It's a little weird but I think they'll understand it.

Hello! Thank you by e-mail me back. Please excuse me when I sent the letter, I have not heard from Alex for a month. Since then, I received a letter and spoke on the phone. It was wonderful to hear his voice and know that he is well and healthy.
Our church group would like to collect items for children in your school. I told them I would like to ask the director, what's most needed. Please let us know what clothes or school supplies we could gather. We hope to bring them with us when we came to Alex.
Thanks for the good care of our Alex. We look forward to opportunities to visit Ukraine and meeting people.
Hope you have a great day. Let me know that my church groups can do to make changes in the lives of these precious children.
Venda

That name Venda? That's my name in Ukraine. James is James but I'm Venda. Hum....sounds like I'm an old (probably stout) woman that does a lot of laundry. Venda the Washer Woman.



3 of my blog friends said something...:

Corbie said...

Listen, Venda. You did a great job with all that translating and re-translating - now get back to work on that sorting and folding :)

Jen said...

That is awesome! I want the email address for this lady. I had asked a few weeks back if there was email for Nadiya and I never heard back. This is fabulous news!

lindsey said...

Hey Venda! I've stalked your blog for too. I hope things get easier with the adoption process. I'll be keeping tabs on you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails