It's true, I actually have papers ready to be appostilled.
(But I wont' be making any trips to the capital until ALL my papers are ready and I get Elliana's final okay!)
But I have:
#1 Home Study (Ready for Apostille)
#4 No Criminal Records (Ready for Apostille)
#5 Marriage certificate (Need notarized + Appostille)
#7 Letter of Obligation (Need notarized + Appostille)
#8 Petition for Adoption (Need notarized + Appostille)
#9 Power of Attorney (5) (Need notarized+ Appostille)
#10 Proof of residence (Ownership letter signed and notarized by assessors office and certified copy of warranty deed from recorders office, ready for Appostille)** See Below for More Info
#11 Copies of Passports (need notarized)
#12 Post-Placement Agreement (need notarized)
I am still waiting for:
#2 I-171H Form with the correct wording on the front page (need notarizing + Appostille)
#3 Letters From Our Employers (Should be in mail today or tomorrow and notarized. Ready for Appostille Mine in Utah, James in Louisiana!)
#6 Medical Statement Forms (Mine is filled out and I go in for blood work on Thursday. I'm hoping to have James' doctor up to speed by then and we'll go on a romantic date to get our labs done together! Need notarizing + Appostille)
You may wonder why I'm posting such a boring blog. BECAUSE when I was looking at blogs from other families that have adopted I couldn't find anyone that really explained what the paper process was like. (In fact, most families started blogging when the left for the Ukraine-which I am so glad they did-but it left the "How did you get to this point?" a mystery.) Sure they said the paper work was a pain, took forever and what a huge ordeal it was but in my little Wendy mind I thought, "Oh, how hard can it be?" Hello!? It is crazy!! So, if my O.C.D. postings can help just ONE parent maneuver through the hoops of this circus then these boring posts about paper work will not be for naught.
Some sweet, well meaning soul mentioned I should write a manual when this is all said and done. I'm afraid this blog is as close as I'll come to writing a manual. (Besides, it sounds like requirements change all the time and it's not cut and dry for everyone-like not everyone has an out of state employer or is self employed) And I am learning that I certainly don't know everything there is to know about this, many thanks to Lori, Jen & Carlin for not only helping me but for their moral support. It always nice to feel like you have friends in the trenches. :) And of course to Elliana (our adoption coordinator) who is pelted with my continual emails on a daily bases as I sort out this process. Thanks!
**I hope someday to own my home but right now we have a mortgage. So, if that is your situation as well, and you live in Salt Lake County you will need to go to the County Assessors office (2001 South State North Building #2300) and get a "proof of home ownership" letter. They can then walk you over to the notary across the hall and get it notarized. (You may want to call and make sure the notary is in before you go in #468-3050) Then you head down stairs to the recorders office (I think #1600) and get a certified copy of you warranty deed. Cost $7.
Monday, December 15, 2008
OMGoodness!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 of my blog friends said something...:
This is a really random comment but the title of this post cracked me up :)
You know that someone following this in the next group is really going to appreciate all of the documentation you are providing about this whole process. It will help them to get through it so much better. I know it helps me just to be doing it along side you!
Post a Comment