Monday, February 2, 2009

2nd Phone Call!

Finally I got through this morning!! I've been trying since last Tuesday but the phone would just ring and ring.
So, my Alex Benjamin (that's what his name will be, he decided today so in the event I need to book his airline ticket before we leave, I have his official name!) said in perfect English. "How are you?" (Do you think he's using my English books?) He did get my second package but told me he broke his airplane. (I don't remember an airplane unless he's referring to the one in the first package?) I asked if he had been waiting for my call since the 27th and he said he had. (So maybe my vision of him out in a dark hall waiting for his Mom to call wasn't so far off?) I explained what a hard time I had trying to get through. His only question was, "When are you coming?" I told him the good news and explained about our submission date, our hope to have approval in March and that we're expecting a travel date sometime in May. (I didn't want to be to exact, as who knows right now?) Then I'm pretty sure he just cried through the rest of our phone call. I know he was trying to be very brave but I could hear the emotion in his "da" each time he answered my questions. I even had the translator ask if he was sad. He said he had good feelings but was a little sad. Poor little guy. May probably feels like forever. My eyes welled up while talking to him and then I decided it wouldn't do either of us any good for us both to be crying and I tried to be cheerful and positive. I told him I loved him and missed him and he said he feels the same in this little sad voice. I told him to pray that we can get there quickly and to be happy and be a good boy. He actually said very little, just sad "da's" and that was it.
The translator told me he doesn't often hear that kind of emotion with orphans. That he certainly wants to be here, there is no doubt about that.
Oh....I feel so sad and yet so happy....
James talked to him briefly and afterwards he told me he thought it was great he was sad, he wants him to want this as much as we do. I on the other hand just want to go get him right now and forget all this nonsense! Good grief!!
We went to the Draper Temple open house this weekend and it was beautiful. It was so fun and funny to hear what my children asked. Kambree wanted to know "which room they tell you all the secrets in?" I tried to explain, it's not secrets, it's sacred covenants but I don't know if she understood.
Rylee when seeing a picture of the alter in the sealing room asked "Is this where the lay the dead bodies?" I almost burst out laughing until I realized that she was serious. I explained that there are no dead bodies in the temple. We do work for the dead but we don't actually bring dead people into the temple. When you think about it, that's not such a silly assumption.
It was also so neat to think that sometime, hopefully soon, we'll be able to return to a sealing room with all our children and make Alex part of our family forever.
My parents are leaving for Nauvoo this week. I'm excited for them to go. Nauvoo is such a neat place, especially this time of year. I went two years ago at the same time. It's the re-enactment of the exodus and it's freezing!! I hope my parents love it.
Well, I think this will be a long week. Devree has tech rehearsals and performances this weekend, James goes back to work, besides ball practices, dance classes, relief society and work I've got a very sad little boy on my mind. Sometimes, I feel just like he does. May just seems too far away!
(Note to the good karma of the universe, this is not me complaining about my submission date, I am thrilled to be this far along and grateful to even hope for a May travel date. I am just having empathy for my Lex.)

3 of my blog friends said something...:

Shirlene said...

ohhhhh! this made tears come to my eyes! It must be soooooo hard for him to wait! The day will come though! It will be wonderful! He is such a lucky kid to have you for a mother, James for a father and to be a part of such a wonderful family! I am so excited for him! He is one lucky kid! Love you guys! hang in there! Love, Shirlene

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

You know i am excited for you all and for the day that all of you go to the temple and make Alex apart of your family forever and when he is sealed to you. I also went to the draper temple open house on the 16th of January it was awesome. And they just announced the dates for the Oquirrh Mountain temple- June 1 to August 1st- can't wait to go to that open house and maybe the dedication. That will be our temple district.

Andreas said...

The 'dah' response seems pretty common as time goes on. Kids have so little patience anyway, so the quiet dah's are really saying to many other things. Each day is a little closer!

Related Posts with Thumbnails