Okay, this post is to vent about the crime that was committed today in broad daylight in my front yard! It was about 1:30, I had just gone out to pick up my mail and send a bill. I went back in my house, sat in my office located in the front of my house with the shutters OPEN (not open like the slats open but wide open!) and I had managed to open one or maybe two pieces of mail before I see a dark car pull up to my mailbox. I'm staring straight at it and I'm thinking "Hum, who is this? I wonder what they're putting in my mailbox?" Thinking it's an invitation or solicitation or something. But then they make a U-turn and drive quickly away. I decide to go see what they left and my mailbox is EMPTY! They stole my mail!! Can you believe it?? I run inside and call my credit union and put a stop payment on my check. Then I call my neighbor, Aleyce (because her husband is a police officer) to see if she has the non-emergency number for Murray Police. She offers to let me call her husband but I don't want to be "that crazy neighbor" that calls him at work so she says call 911. (Keep in mind it's now been 10 minutes or so since this has happened with the call to the credit union and honestly, calling the police didn't occur to me right off, until I really thought about it. Mostly I felt really dumb that this happened but then I thought, "Hey, this is a Federal offense...tampering with mail!") I called 911 they sent TWO officers over within 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile I asked the neighbor across the street if she had seen the car and perhaps remembered the make and model. (Because I, unlike my husband and son never pay attention to makes and models...only color!) She mentions she's had her mail stolen TWICE! Then I go so far as to ask the Murray City tree trimmers down the street. (They like me because I made them cookies this morning because they're going to take my tree stump out!) They didn't see the car either.
Of course the police are very nice but make me feel stupid for putting a check in my outgoing mail. (Hello, it's only 1:30 in the afternoon!) They're turning my case over to the postmaster. And they tell me, "Do more than stop payment, go cancel your account, these people have your routing number and account number and can print up checks and reek all kinds of havoc!"
So I call and have a freeze put on my account. Reconcile it, call Jen and tell her to let me replace the check for our FedEx package as this one will not cash now and realize I have three outstanding checks that must clear! The IRS, State of Utah and Workers Comp. (4th quarter taxes just came due!) So, I'm off to my credit union after an hour, they figure out a way to open a new account and re-route these checks through my new account but they can't do it until there's been no activity on my account and the stop payment shows up as activity. Good grief!
Then I have to order new debit cards, new checks and now I get to contact ALL the companies that I have direct deposit and with drawls with. Keep in mind this is my BUSINESS account so all my real estate stuff (signs, fax line, Internet, domain name, etc) go through this account. BUT now I have to wait until I have new debit cards!!! Next week!!
I keep trying to console myself with "At least I saw them and got everything canceled quickly!" but good gravy....what a pain!!
Thanks for letting me vent!!!
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Ugh!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 of my blog friends said something...:
holy heck, you hear about that all the time, but until it happens to someone you know, you don't think it's real. Good you saw them, Bad for all the hassle you have to go through. Good experience for the rest of us however. Thanks for posting.
sandy
WOW! that is so crazy! and having to do all that is no fun at all. But, at least the thiefs won't be able to benefit from your account or anything and your good name and identity etc. will and should be safe. I hope u all can get everything worked out and that everything works out. Hopefully these people get caught!
Post a Comment