Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Stuff I'm learning...

I have learned there is a website that will give you a 15 day forecast for any city in the Ukraine.
But everything is in Celsius and being the mathematician (not) that I am, I yelled to James "How do I figure out how to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit?" He hollers back (he's in the kitchen helping Devree with HER math) "Look up the formula!" What? Hello? I'm his wife not his child. But since he's up to his eyeballs with homework and I am not willing to wait, I Google it and even I can figure this out.

Double the temperature given in Celsius.
Add 32.
The resulting number is the approximate temperature in Fahrenheit.

Ta...da!! Now I know that on March 12th (15 days from now) in the city of Dniprodzerzhinsk the high will be 56 and the low will be 40!!
I got a little panicky when the first website I read said this:
If you're heading to the Ukraine November to March then you might be in for a nasty surprise (bring your thermal underwear!).
Yikes! Thermal underwear?? But thanks to my web searching skills I have found a current prediction site that gives me hope that I will not be a mama bear Popsicle and even though the site is in Celsius, thanks to my "its better to teach the wife to fish than to give her a fish" husband I can figure it out for myself!
I have also learned that there are two school dances while I'll be away, Spring Fling (not a big deal, Kambree's going stag with Dance Company) and JUNIOR PROM. Yes, Kambree is a junior. Oh this breaks my heart. And it's April 11th, chances of me being back are slim and none!
(Note: I am not complaining, just conveying my scheduling situation.)
Of course she's not been asked yet, and she probably won't until I'm gone and then how is she going to get a dress? Get her corsage? We've never done a flower dance. And who will go and watch at the Capital? Who will take the pictures so I can blog it? Hum....the plot thickens.....
The other great thing I've learned is how many people love me, my family and Alex. I made my friend cry when she read my text "We're going to the Ukraine March 17th!" and I was showered with well wishes on my email, Facebook, text and phone. Many have offered to help and drive kids places and bring meals and stay overnight. Thanks everyone-don't be surprised if I take every single one of you up on it!!
Here's an interesting thing I learned, all day long I've tried to call my mom. (She's a flight attendant for Continental and on a trip) Although she was the first one I tried to call, she was the last one I told. (She cried too.) All day long I just wanted to tell my mom and couldn't get a hold of her. Finally, tonight she has service and she knows and life is good! So I learned no matter how old I get, I still need my mom!
Which makes me smile because I realized that-all though I missed Alex's first 10/almost 11 years of life, you need a mom for always, not just when your little!

2 of my blog friends said something...:

Ashley said...

I actually do not even do the math at all. I use the converter on my cell phone. Check it out...you may have one. :)

Stacy said...

Moms are very important every step of the way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails