Saturday, April 3, 2010

Spring Break

We left Tuesday for our spring break vacation. (I bet you didn't even know because I posted blogs each day-but only because I set them up before-cool huh?)
Anyway, when we drove away....this is what we left. Look closely under the gate.
Upon closer inspection-this is our sad Ella-who stayed home but escaped continually and ended up at my parents house for most of the time! Sad little face...huh?
Our first stop was at Cove Fort. It was very windy....
B of M from all over the world!
On top of the fort!
Did I mention it was windy?? Rylee is standing in place.
This is the cute missionary that took us on our tour. We learned all kinds of cool things about the pioneers that built the fort but I could tell I was enjoying it much more than the kids were. Oh, well. It was a good break from sitting in the van.
We stopped in Nephi for Chinese food and then had to make a pit stop in Duck Creek to find a bathroom. Alex was near tears so we stopped in the middle of no where. Fortunately for him, he can stop anywhere-we girls had to wait it out for a real bathroom. (Note to self: Do not take kids through McDonald's drive through for drinks before heading through miles and miles of rural area without services!)
We made it to our condo in Kanab around eight pm.
We had found this condo on KSL and it was nice with plenty of places to sleep and a full kitchen. We were too tired to rush to the grocery store and then cook dinner so we ate snacks and then played cards. We taught Alex how to play Scum, one of our family favorite card games. But upon Alex losing and being demoted to scums seat, his eyes filled with tears and he hid his face. Oh my. Cards were over for the night. Looks like this vacation was going to be some lesson learning for Alex.
When I tucked him in-minutes later-we had a long talk about winning and losing and getting thicker skin. Yep, same old stuff we've covered before-different scenery, different examples but same tearful boy with too much pride.

2nd Day

The next day James and I ran to the grocery store and bought supplies for breakfast, packing a lunch and dinner and then we came home, roused the kids, made and ate breakfast and then piled in the van and headed to Zion's National Park.
James had heard of this fabulous, four hour, 5 mile round trip hike called "Angel's Landing".
This is us, heading out!
Rylee was having a hard time keeping the pace so James held her hand.
(I just love this picture.)
Our cute kids!
Alex of course zoomed ahead right off. So, we asked him to be the caboose. Tears again. This is James talking to Alex about being at the end and keeping the family safe. That he needs to realize just like in playing cards, it's okay not to be first. It was a hard lesson for Alex. But he persevered.
This sort of gives you and idea of some of the trail or at least the easier part!
Towards the top!
Posing at the top!
Truth be told, this was a scary hike at the top. (Read the sign Kambree is posing by.) It was very steep with chains to hang on to and little ledges to walk on. We could have climbed even farther but James made the executive call that we had gone far enough! (There were teenage boys not willing to go farther. Not OUR teenage boys-or girls for that matter-but I backed him on his decision.)
On the way down...

We stopped for photo ops on the way back down:
Alex
(Hard to believe this happy face cries over cards!)
Rylee
Devree
Kambree
And then there was Austin.....
(Need I say anything else?)
And here is proof that I was actually there!
Kambree and Austin galloped down reenacting a scene from Monte Python and the Holy Grail. Kambree was clicking two rocks together as Austin galloped ahead of her-being Sir Lancelot. They, of course got quite far ahead. I would laugh as I'd hear people discussing Monty Python as our paths crossed as they were coming up and I was going down. Hanging out with teenagers is so much fun. No really, I mean that. I thoroughly enjoyed this trip without diaper bags, strollers and sippy cups! Now, if I could just get my newest child to stop crying when he loses at cards!
We stopped at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and then went home for naps, showers and a spaghetti dinner. We played another round of Scum and Alex did so much better. No tears at all!
Last year during Spring Break we were adopting Alex and today was our day in court:

3 of my blog friends said something...:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

First of all, you have a such a gorgeous family! Alex fits right into the family photo. Those pictures of the kids in the rocks should all be framed, Austin's made me laugh out loud. I can picture them all in a line, everyone smiley and then you see Austin's... LOL!
I know a guy named Nephi, never knew there was a town with the name too :) Neat! I've always liked his name.
How did you schedule blog posts?

Andreas said...

How FUN was that?!! I'll bet the kids had a blast! You are awesome parents. It's so great that James was able to be home during this time so you could all be together.

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

I Just loved all the updates and seeing all the pictures. Good Job! i hope everyone had/has fun! Happy Easter!

Related Posts with Thumbnails