Friday, April 30, 2010

A letter to Kambree


Dear Kambree,
As you approach high school graduation I can't help but reminisce about my own graduation. As you know, I am the oldest of five children and having never been to a high school graduation for an older sibling or an aunt or uncle for that matter, I had no idea what a momentous occasion it was.

I figured it was like 9th grade promotion. A little assembly with a few little speeches and just moms and dad beaming in the audience.

My best friend and future college roommate was trying out to be a speaker at graduation. We were both in debate together and I had no plans to speak at graduation, although speaking was not something I was timid of. (I was the 3A High School State champion in persuasive speech my senior year. Yes, for that I got a little metal emblem of the state of Utah!)

Anyway, my friend was auditioning to speak and my speech teacher/debate coach would not let anyone in to hear the speakers trying out unless they were trying out too. I assured him I was trying out to get in the door and as I sat there listening to the other speakers I remember jotting some notes on a a scrap of paper I found lying on the floor.

Soon enough it was my turn to speak. I didn't really care, I was just here to support my friend. I don't remember what I said but low and behold, I was selected as one of the four speakers for graduation.
(Luckily my friend was too! That would have been bad if she hadn't!)
Hum...

I didn't think to mention to my parents I was speaking. I mean really? It didn't seem like that big of a deal.
My boyfriends mother had given me a graduation card with some sort of poem on it and as I was sitting there, in my cap and gown waiting to speak, I was once again making notes on what I was going to say and threw the poem in for kicks.
Imagine my parents surprise when looking at the program to see my name as a speaker?
They had no idea.
I remember looking around at all the many people in attendance and it dawning on me that this was a pretty BIG event. Hum....maybe I should have really prepared a speech?

Oh well, too late now.

I gave my speech. I don't remember much except I made people laugh. I'm not into boring, sentimental speeches. I mean who wants to hear that?
I of course don't have a copy of the speech as there never was a hard copy. Just a graduation card with some notes scribbled on it. I don't even have the card.

So, Kambree. Being the oldest child, let me tell you, Graduation IS a big deal and if you're speaking at it, I would appreciate the heads up!

Love,

Mom



Our plane ride home from Ukraine & arriving home:
http://blessedwitharichhart.blogspot.com/2009/05/day-44-last-day.html

4 of my blog friends said something...:

Unknown said...

HA! The ever amazing Wendy does it again. I'll bet your speech was great. I actually cried a little at Austen's graduation. (I hid it well). As a graduate I didn't get the big deal either. But as a mom it was huge.

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Wow, i can't believe Kambree is graduating. We are excited and happy for her. Keep us informed.

Dubb said...

Congrats Kambree. My nephews CJ & Scott are graduating also this year. What a year its been.

Corbie said...

That is funny - and that picture of Kambree is adorable.

Related Posts with Thumbnails