Friday, April 17, 2009

April 17th or Day 31

Seriously, there is nothing to write about today. The only thing Alex wanted to do today was go to "mahazing" (the store) and stay "doma" (home).
I made Alex fried potatoes for breakfast and got a thumbs up-of course he drowned them in ketchup but he LOVES ketchup. He eats ketchup sandwiches, just bread and ketchup and I made hard boiled eggs and he ate the yolk out and then filled the white with ketchup and ate that. If you're thinking of investing in stock, may I suggest Heinz?
For lunch I made a Ukraine version of Top Ramen and fried chicken strips. Alex was dressed so nice in new jeans and a new shirt but spilled his Top Ramen all down the front of him so he's on outfit #2. I almost hate washing his new clothes as they come out so crunchy from hanging to dry. Oh, how I miss warm dry clothes out of the dryer!
We invited the Rast's over for the afternoon and the kids watched cartoons and at one point went down to the little store outside of our apartment-pooling their 10 gryvna ($1.24 each) together they came back with a haul. Mostly junk food and toys but they were having a great time trying to figure out what to buy. Jeff actually went down to check on them as they were taking so long.
For dinner we had what I though were hot dogs and my version of one of Alex's cabbage/cold slaw salads. The hot dogs were individually wrapped and not at all like hot dogs, (and just a little bit questionable) so I ate cold fried chicken. Alex liked my salad after he poured ketchup all over it. Go figure...
Wow, look at me, three meals cooked in one day in my white trash kitchen?
Besides playing a few hours with the Rast girls and Amy and Jeff and I visiting, Alex has watched a couple of English movies on the lap top and played computer and I have almost finished my book and finished the laundry.
Alex tells me things are wonderful in the store and then we get home he takes one bite and says "bleck" and throws it away. It's frustrating but I think he really doesn't know yet what he likes and doesn't like and the idea of buying things in a store is such a novelty that he's sure he loves everything? (Give me strength...)
The other thing Alex likes to do is sit on my lap and snuggle with me when I'm on the computer. At first I found it endearing but it's getting old. I told him tonight, Alex I don't sit on you and hug you when you are on the computer and put him kindly but firmly off my lap. He just laughed. He also asked for 10 grynva for his trip to the little store and then when I gave it he asked for one more grynva...please, please, please. No I said about as many times as he said please and then I said okay, then give me the 10 grynva back and have nothing. He then happily took the original 10 grynva without complaint. Good grief, did he think he was getting a first time pushover mom?
He does love me beside during my computer time. I do have to give him credit, he comes up at least 10 times a day and wraps his arms around me and just hugs and hugs and, and he says "My Mama." And every once in awhile I get a quick but sweet kiss. I couldn't ask for or even hope for more affection...especially from a ten year old boy.
Just think, we may possibly be on our way home this time next week? Oh, I get goose bumps just thinking about it!
Grr... just one more week. I'm so glad the next few days we'll be visiting with Ivan & Snezhana...I'm going stir crazy!
My Austin's birthday is tomorrow and he will be 15!! Happy Birthday Auggie Boy! I love you! I may be here with one sweet boy but I miss the original version immensely!

7 of my blog friends said something...:

Lobos Family said...

The ketchup thing reminds me of Katya. If I remember correctly she put ketchup on ice cream while she was here.

Jen said...

Hang in there!

Christine B. said...

You are almost home... All will be well... Hope your friend that got in to a car accident is doing better... was wondering about her... hey I command you for not giving in... kids will play you ...I experienced thsi with a step-daughter.. once she knew... she let it alone... it was hard, but had to do it, otherwise, they step all over you and ended up running you over... good Job ! Good Mom!

Michelle said...

Wow, three meals in one day! Impressive! You are my hero! You will be home soon! Say hi to Alex!

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

I am so excited for you.. I also think i emailed pictures of our new little one- that joined the richhart family on Wednesday (april 15th, 2009). Sorry we are just the proud auntie and grandparents.

Corbie said...

Love love love the honesty - the frustrations, the annoyances, the concerns. Because, let's face it - that's parenting.

And Happy Birthday Austin!

Wendy said...

Thanks for the comments.
This will sound stupid-but trust me-you have to be here to understand. I have to make a comment in order to log in to find my dashboard. Everything is in Russian until I log in and I can't figure out which is the log in button. It didn't work that way when I was private but now that I'm public it's a bit of a challenge. So here is my comment:
THANKS FOR COMMENTING! I check my blog every few hours just to see if anyone has left a message as I'm so hungry for contact back home-so even if you have nothing to say, just say hi!
W

Related Posts with Thumbnails