Monday, April 6, 2009

Day Three Of Our 10 Day Wait!

Well, here’s a challenge. How to write about another day of yet all the same stuff as the days before?
I slept in, woke up and read a bit then did some laundry. Then Constantine just showed up around noon-apparently it’s his day off? He wanted to talk about the USA. Let me point out Constantine does NOT speak English. About every 10th word is an English word but often times it’s not the right one so it’s like a game of me trying to guess what he’s saying or pretending I understand. It’s exasperating! And I so wanted to do my own thing today. He’s always showing me the weather here on the Internet and he wanted to know the weather in Utah so I just went to KSL.com and then I told him I was going to the store. Did I want him to drive me? Um…let me think about that…no? (Besides it’s only two blocks away!) I left him at the computer and walked to the market. When I came back he was on the Larry Miller Honda website that was linked from KSL. Then he wanted to talk about prices of cars….good gravy!
I did show him our house via Google satellite and he was flabbergasted that our house was so large. At his request, I found a metric conversion calculator and converted my house to metric units and for my curiosity I converted his metic unit apartment measurement to square feet. His apartment (where I'm living) is 542 square feet. He even told Alex later that he saw our house on the computer and our trampoline in the back yard.
It’s amazing how much the USA influences this country. Although I don’t run into many English speakers, I hear English songs on the radio and piped into the grocery stores all the time, I’ve read English graffiti on the walls like “Punk is not dead” and “Kill the cops” and many t-shirts and clothing items have English phrases and logo’s.
I tried to find something healthy to eat for lunch. I’m dying for a Rumbi’s salad and the best I could do was find cucumbers. I was peeling them and Constantine found that hilarious. Apparently the potato peeler is only used for potatoes?
Finally we went to school. This time I just took off looking for Lex rather than waiting at the main building. The weather was wonderful. I didn’t even need a jacket and the kids were out playing and working in the yard. They love to say “hello” when you walk by. The school really keeps their yard tidy compared to the rest of the city.
Masha waved to me right away and I asked if Nastia was back. Yes and she pointed me up the hill. Then my little friend Tawnya, found me and personally escorted me to find Alex and Nastia. Tawyna wanted me to take her picture so here it is. I’m pretty sure this girl is an orphan (as she was here during spring break) but I have no idea if she is available. She is a sweetheart. I think she’s about 14 and just eager to please and very friendly.


First we went to the cafeteria where I found Lubia, Lena, Sveta and the Sodeburgs Julia all eating lunch together. They were having a large serving of rice, some sort of meat and a large bowl of borscht. It actually looked pretty good. We talked for a bit in our pantomime way. All these girls are being adopted in the next few months. It was cute to see them all hanging out together. I wonder what they were talking about?

(I know Julia looks grumpy here, she didn't want her picture taken and was trying to duck when I took it!)
We then went to the next building where we found Alex in his class room and I was pleasantly surprised. It was very cheery and the kids were playing together, the teacher sat me down at her desk and showed me a scrapbook of the activity’s and field trips the kids had gone on that year and it was quite impressive. And Andreas, I finally saw Sasha! Alex was taking ton’s of pictures and video but when I went to download it, I didn’t recognize any of the children he photographed. I’ll see what his video looks like and maybe post it at the end.
The class was tidy and they each have a little cub-by with a towel and their toothbrush and toothpaste in a cup above their towel.


I also learned they have a locked closet where they store their personal belongings. (I was able to get the flashcards I sent to Alex.) I had wondered where they keep their personal belongings as their bedrooms consist of just beds and bedding and a pillow.
Katya is in Alex’s class and showed me a picture of her baby brother. She seemed so proud. I just had to take this picture for the Lobo’s.


Then we went out back and low and behold we found Nastia! I may be mistaken Jen but if I understand correctly Nastia was with her Grandma while she had the chickenpox? The teacher said Masha and Nastia (the teacher indicating dot’s all over their bodies) both had it and today was Nastia’s first day back. She looked good though, I didn’t see any visible scaring and just a few little scabs left on her face. Her hair is still very short. Everyone in her class has the same shorn style. I don’t know why. I wanted to take her picture with her class but her teacher insisted on standing her in the sun where she had to squint. So here it is:


Then we met up with Straders Julia and I was lead off towards the dreaded main building. It was so nice I hated to go inside. Alex wanted to throw the tennis ball but I’ve caught that stupid tennis ball about 400 times now so I told them, time for English. Alex said “No English!” Julia said “Me English!” (she’s so willing) but I coaxed Lex inside. He was very stubborn about coming to the table where I set out the book and paper. I finally got him there but he just scowls. I have them sit so they could each have one ear bud of my Ipod in and hear the sounds and the English word of the pictures in the book, then I thought they could draw as they go. I thought drawing might make it sink in more and be more fun. Julia really got into it and Lex just scowled and pouted. They make it through one page with Julia saying the words out loud and Lex just pouting. Then he wandered over to my bag of food and I told him “Nett. English first.” Oh, man did he pout. He sat back down and wouldn’t look at me. (Julia by now has the Ipod on both ears and has switched to my music and is singing out loud but she’s drawing pictures and writing the English words underneath.) I made Lex look at me and told him he needs to talk to me and tell me what is wrong. He turns away from me again. I wrapped my arms around him from the back and pulled him towards me and whispered how sad I am that he can’t talk to me, I really need him to learn English so we can talk. He relaxed into my arms and I knew I had him. I asked if he was hungry. Yes. So I brought him a banana and between bites of the banana we worked with the flash cards. We made it through the whole deck making two piles, one of words he said perfectly and one that need work. He was quite proud that his perfect pile was bigger than his need work pile. Just a little love and a banana and we’re back in business!
We decide to walk to (can you guess?)….the store. I had moved the majority of my money out of my wallet. I think Alex thinks I'm loaded so we should just buy anything. My trick worked. He looked inside and suggested that he and Julia each have 5 gryvna’s (which is about 75 cents) That seems reasonable. And so we’re off. I wanted to try one of those hot dog/scones that Julia had yesterday and apparently the only place is back down the mile walk we have been on for the last two days. So we were off again. This is what the majority of my day looks like. Me following Alex & Julia.


And a shot from the front.


And here’s my hot dog-stuffed-fattening-scone. (To go alone with those healthy cucumbers I had earlier!) Lex and Julia selected the stuffed egg scone. I could only eat half of this so Julia finished it for me.


Then I needed a drink so the kids suggested I get a drink while they look at the toy store. I went into the grocery store quickly bought a water and then went upstairs to look once again at the teapots. I still haven’t decided on which one I want.
Then we head back to the school. But not before the kids buy some fish string and Lex buys a coffee in some coffee machine only it’s too hot and I have to hold it, then he tries it and he hates it so Julia drinks it. Sorry Bill & Lezlie!
On the way back Lex buys yet another cabbage stuffed scone and then one that looks like a donut that they put in a bag and dump a scoop of powder sugar over. It was still warm and he hand’s it to me. For me? With part of his precious 5 gryna’s? Can I just tell you, I am pretty full but this was heavenly! I ate every bite. (Which is why I’m having microwave popcorn and a cup of herbal tea for dinner!)
Back at the school the kids attack the food I brought. (It’s almost like they’re bears storing up for hibernating right around the time for them to go back to the school for the night.) I had brought bananas, frozen crab snacks, tomato juices and a box of cream puffs. No chips, no soda and no candy! I did manage to bring a few cream puffs home and half the crab. Maybe they think if they don’t eat it I won’t bring more? I don’t know, but honestly I don’t know how they can eat so much!

I called and spoke to James and Alex has to speak to him too which consist of "Hi Papa" and then he usually say's "America" at some point and then hands me the phone.
I have managed to crochet three dishcloths while I'm here. One I’m using in my apartment. Alex asked if he and Julia could have the other two in their classroom. I don’t know why but okay. So here is a picture of them each with their dishcloths.

I got some great goodbye loves from Alex. He always says goodbye with a two minute hug and then tonight he ran back to me with his arms out stretched for yet another hug. Every day it gets harder and harder to say goodnight.
And now I’m home. Oxana will be back late tonight. Hurray!
Wow. Look how much I wrote and yet, I thought I had nothing to say. I’ll have to remember if I ever decide to write a book that I should do it in Ukraine where no one can talk to me so I have to make up for it by writing a lot!
Day three...done!

3 of my blog friends said something...:

Jen said...

Thanks for the picture! Wow, that is short hair. Much shorter than when she was here in October. I'm so happy for you that everything has gone so well. Hope the same happens for us!

Lobos Family said...

Thanks Wendy for the pix of Katya. I made it my screen saver at work so I can look at how cute she is all day long!

snakeriverwalton said...

we'll get a Rumbi salad as soon as you get home!

Related Posts with Thumbnails