It’s crazy to think that all of you are celebrating Easter and here, we’re not. Next week is Orthodox Easter and because I’ll have Alex all to myself next Sunday AND an apartment that we can have children in-we’ll celebrate next week with the rest of Ukraine.
Today was nice. We had a little church/primary with the children. Basically we had a prayer and I tried to teach them “I Am A Child Of God”, I would sing a line then Amy & Jeff & Lena would sing it. Alex, Julia and Sveta just observed. Then we talked the kids into singing us a song. They told us it was a church song. Even Alex sang, although he sang off key-on purpose! Then Jeff held up a picture of Christ and we learned they call him Esus. (Sounds more like the Spanish pronunciation of Jesus but Oxana say’s its spelled Esus) Than Jeff in his best Russian said Jesus loves boys and girls and pointed to the children. That was about it for our lesson. It was nice and at least we tried.
Amy and I went to their apartment and made lunch and left Jeff to supervise the masses. (Children in our apartments is against the rules-only because they're afraid the kids will destroy the apartments!) Amy fried chicken and it was the best meal I’ve had in weeks. I miss home cooking. We also made mashed potatoes and a fresh veggies salad. I had brought fruit, cake and paper products. I bought the cake on the way to the school and along with my purse and big black bag, I was carrying a cake and wouldn’t you know it, it was standing room only on the bus. A little lady sitting down offered to hold my cake and I took her up on it and then a kind gentleman helped me out of the bus. See James, some people are nice here. You just have to be holding a cake!
Alex offered the prayer on the food. I’m so glad he’s willing to pray. He started with the Russian word for “thank you” and then who knows what else, I don’t even recognize the amen, I just say it when everyone else unfolds their arms and starts eating.
Today was nice. We had a little church/primary with the children. Basically we had a prayer and I tried to teach them “I Am A Child Of God”, I would sing a line then Amy & Jeff & Lena would sing it. Alex, Julia and Sveta just observed. Then we talked the kids into singing us a song. They told us it was a church song. Even Alex sang, although he sang off key-on purpose! Then Jeff held up a picture of Christ and we learned they call him Esus. (Sounds more like the Spanish pronunciation of Jesus but Oxana say’s its spelled Esus) Than Jeff in his best Russian said Jesus loves boys and girls and pointed to the children. That was about it for our lesson. It was nice and at least we tried.
Amy and I went to their apartment and made lunch and left Jeff to supervise the masses. (Children in our apartments is against the rules-only because they're afraid the kids will destroy the apartments!) Amy fried chicken and it was the best meal I’ve had in weeks. I miss home cooking. We also made mashed potatoes and a fresh veggies salad. I had brought fruit, cake and paper products. I bought the cake on the way to the school and along with my purse and big black bag, I was carrying a cake and wouldn’t you know it, it was standing room only on the bus. A little lady sitting down offered to hold my cake and I took her up on it and then a kind gentleman helped me out of the bus. See James, some people are nice here. You just have to be holding a cake!
Alex offered the prayer on the food. I’m so glad he’s willing to pray. He started with the Russian word for “thank you” and then who knows what else, I don’t even recognize the amen, I just say it when everyone else unfolds their arms and starts eating.
The kids watched “Freaky Friday” on Jeff’s lap top.
While they watched Amy and were chatting and looked over at Jeff to see this:
Apparently Jeff's magazine had a 3-D ad in it. We laughed so hard.
Oxana called and needed the legal names for the Rast’s girls so we brainstormed about that. They’ve decided to go with Helen Marie for Lena and Sara Victoria for Sveta. Which reminds me that yesterday after Alex ate FOUR bananas right after another I told him I’m not going to call him Alex Benjamin, I’m going to call him Alex Banana!
We went out played tag and "throw the ball-so far that mom has to go chase it" outside and got Alex (and Mom) good and tired and then came in and watched most of “Hairspray”. I’m surprised that either movie held Alex’s attention but having Lena around makes him a little more gentleman like I think. Julia was teasing Lena that she loves Alex-it didn’t seem to bother Alex but Lena didn’t like it. (I think I may have a Casanova on my hands.) I kept saying “No friends” to help Lena out and then Julia started teasing me and after some pantomiming and drawing on the board I concluded that she was teasing me that I love the camel from the circus!
It was freezing in the building as they turn the heat off on the weekends. I pulled a couch up to the lap top for the kids and I finally got warm when Alex climbed on my lap to watch the last half of “Hairspray”. He’s like a mini furnace.
Only one more night of saying goodnight at the orphanage! It’s always the worse time of day. Alex will hug me and hug me and ask me to come at nine the next day, even though he knows he has school and I can’t come until after 2:00-lunch is served at 2:00 so he insists I come at 2:09! Then he’ll walk up the hill towards the school and he always turns around and yells “Bye-bye Mama!” And I wave and blow a kiss. If the girls are around, he doesn’t blow one back!
I got some very sad news when I got home about my dear friend Jan R. She’s been in a terrible car accident. I just got sick when I heard and called the hospital and lied and told them I was an immediate relative. I was able to talk to Colby and although her injuries are serious it sounds like she’ll painfully pull through. Oh, Jan I wish I was there to help you. You will be in my prayers on this side of the world.
Love to all and Happy Easter!
Oxana called and needed the legal names for the Rast’s girls so we brainstormed about that. They’ve decided to go with Helen Marie for Lena and Sara Victoria for Sveta. Which reminds me that yesterday after Alex ate FOUR bananas right after another I told him I’m not going to call him Alex Benjamin, I’m going to call him Alex Banana!
We went out played tag and "throw the ball-so far that mom has to go chase it" outside and got Alex (and Mom) good and tired and then came in and watched most of “Hairspray”. I’m surprised that either movie held Alex’s attention but having Lena around makes him a little more gentleman like I think. Julia was teasing Lena that she loves Alex-it didn’t seem to bother Alex but Lena didn’t like it. (I think I may have a Casanova on my hands.) I kept saying “No friends” to help Lena out and then Julia started teasing me and after some pantomiming and drawing on the board I concluded that she was teasing me that I love the camel from the circus!
It was freezing in the building as they turn the heat off on the weekends. I pulled a couch up to the lap top for the kids and I finally got warm when Alex climbed on my lap to watch the last half of “Hairspray”. He’s like a mini furnace.
Only one more night of saying goodnight at the orphanage! It’s always the worse time of day. Alex will hug me and hug me and ask me to come at nine the next day, even though he knows he has school and I can’t come until after 2:00-lunch is served at 2:00 so he insists I come at 2:09! Then he’ll walk up the hill towards the school and he always turns around and yells “Bye-bye Mama!” And I wave and blow a kiss. If the girls are around, he doesn’t blow one back!
I got some very sad news when I got home about my dear friend Jan R. She’s been in a terrible car accident. I just got sick when I heard and called the hospital and lied and told them I was an immediate relative. I was able to talk to Colby and although her injuries are serious it sounds like she’ll painfully pull through. Oh, Jan I wish I was there to help you. You will be in my prayers on this side of the world.
Love to all and Happy Easter!

5 of my blog friends said something...:
Were the movies in English or Russian? If Russian, did you buy them there in Ukraine?
This is your last day! Tomorrow he is your son to take him for good! This is what it's been all about. We're so happy for you!
GREAT STORY! i FEEL LIKE WE ARE RIGHT THERE WITH YOU ! THANK YOU ! KEEP THIS UP ! A GREAT NOVEL ~
Troy and I were always freezing too, but it was like pulling teeth to get the kids to keep their coats on! They must have thick blood or skin or something over there.
Good job with your journal-writing. It is very interesting and I don't miss a day of reading it!!
Love,
Aunt Bev
The pictures of Jeff were great. He He! I'm so glad you are here. I refer my friends to your blog and they think you are funny too. They all want to meet you!
Post a Comment