Greetings from my clean and cozy apartment in Kiev! Jeff brought his laptop and he’s figured out the Internet and he and Amy have left for the notary and so I have his computer all to myself! (Imagine sounds of insane laughter inserted here!)
Our train ride was yet another grand adventure. Did I mention that when you’re in Dniprozersink that the train stops for exactly TWO minutes? You have two minutes to load yourself and your luggage and hand your tickets to the train attendant. The first night Alex and I left we had FOUR suitcases (two of them over sized) and four bags. Thank heavens Jeff and Amy came as Jeff threw our luggage on the train while I tried to turn in tickets and haul it down to our compartment.
If you’re claustrophobic, Ukraine overnight train rides are not for you! The hallway’s are so narrow your carry-on bag with wheels rubs the walls as you pull it to your compartment. In an effort to make the train’s more homey-there are rug runners down these halls that catch the wheels of your luggage and so now not only are you pulling your luggage down the hall, your dragging the rug with you too. The larger suitcases are too large for you and the suitcase to proceed down the hall at the same time. You have to sort of lift the 50 pound bag out in front of you and grunt and groan until you reach your compartment.
Once in you compartment (the first ride we rode business class so we had a compartment to ourselves and we each had a little bunk on each side of the compartment) you cannot stand between the beds with your suitcase-it’s impossible. You have to pull up the beds and man handle your bags underneath in order to negotiate the small walking space in between the beds. Then you are provided with a rolled up mattress, clean linens and a two ton pillow. (Seriously, if you were to have pillow fights with these pillow and the strength to swing it at someone you could knock them out cold!)
The 2nd night train as mentioned we shared a four person compartment with two ladies but our 3rd train ride we shared a four person compartment with the Rast’s and all would have been fine if it weren’t for the men smoking two compartments down! Those really stinky cigarettes that are probably burning holes in not only the smokers lungs but ours as well. Keep in mind at this point I’ve wanted to take someone out at the passport office and defiantly pulled out George’s backseat seat belts and I’m thinking I’m going to let these men know how I feel about this smoking. Luckily Jeff held me back. That and I saw that the men (four in number) were enjoying numerous alcoholic beverages as well as their stinky cigarettes. So I made a u-turn back to my compartment and we all suffered through. (By the way we were in a non-smoking car!)
The Ambien kicked in and I was out until the train attendant woke us at 5:45am. Why when our train doesn’t arrive until 6:53? The train does stop longer in Kiev so we don’t have to jump off in two minutes like in Dniprozerzink so in my mind-this wake up call is insane. Let us sleep!
So our day today so far as consisted of showering, eating breakfast-always an adventure and going to the Internet café to check emails.
Amy and I have been looking for a gym to work out at and Elena mentioned her friend goes to this free gym on the bank of a river and would take us tonight. We were getting excited. Then she explained further. Not only is it a gym but it’s free and it’s out doors… What? AND it get’s better… all the equipment is “handmade”. Now, we’re really curious. (The outdoor part had me turned off. I’ve decided I’m allergic to cold!) Jeff found pictures of the gym on the Internet. James I think this is your type of gym!





Seriously, does it remind you of a prison yard? Yea, not thinking we’ll hit THIS gym any time soon.
Anyway, we’re thinking Italian opera (why not? Russian? Italian? You can never understand opera anyway.) or English speaking movie tonight. Jeff volunteered to stay with Alex if we elect to go the opera so we’ll probably go to the movie as Jeff is already keeping an eye on Alex tomorrow while Amy and I go to the “sauna” with Oxana.
Apparently this “sauna” is something else. Very old and rustic. We’re going to get our bodies scrubbed with coffee beans. Oxana was concerned because we don’t drink coffee but I’m not thinking a coffee body scrub would be breaking the world of wisdom. Do you?
So despite being stuck here, I have company, a bustling busy city, Internet access and my sweet boy. I’d rather be home but this ain’t so bad….
Love to all, thanks for your prayers and comments and concern. Another bright side to staying is our first translator Hana is out of town and won’t be back until Monday night so by staying I’ll be able to hook up with her and deliver her the maple syrup I had Straders bring AND the Russian animated book of Mormon she asked for. She’ll be so surprised!
Oh, and Mary-Amy’s friend is bringing lot’s of comforts from home, baking powder, Bisquick & syrup and Horlachers are bring chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. We’re going to have pancakes, chocolate chip cookies and fudge! (And NO I have not lost my planned 10 pounds-I’m lucky my jeans still fit!)
Alex is watching cartoons and has been a trooper through all of this. Three nights on a train, hanging out with adults and a bawling new mother-he’s awesome. He knows that Kiev is one step closer to home and he’s so excited to get there.
Peace, love & warm chocolate chip cookies to all!

8 of my blog friends said something...:
Looks like you pick up some interesting people and diseases at the work out outdoor gym!`
Wendy, you're so entertaining. Whatever will I do when you're back home and have no more Ukrainian adventures to blog about? And by the way, I'm sure the gyms in our prisons here are waaaay nicer than that!
Those pictures made me laugh! First time all week I think : ) I can't believe you don't want to check it out! Enjoy those chocolate chip cookies.
This is Jeff.... Wendy, I love your blog, but can I have my computer back!! Please!!! And no, I'm not going to pay 70 gryvna's to have someone hit me with sticks at the sauna tomorrow! But tell me how that goes!
What a fun time you are having...hehehe. I'm sorry that probably isn't the sort of comfort you are needing right now. Maybe this will help, your name has been put on the prayer role for a couple weeks now. Hope you enjoy your last few days in Ukraine. I can't wait to get together when you get back after things have settled a little.
That is hilarious! And your spirits seemed to have lifted, if only slightly - way to persevere and make lemonade from lemons. Typical admirable Wendy behavior...
The chocolate chip cookies sound good!!!!Chocolate makes everything better!!!
Loved your narration about the size of the train compartments and the trouble with luggage------not funny, eh?
Love you
we are back safe and sound so now I am catching up your blog at this time... be extremely safe upon your return.. due to the epidemic flu from Mexico and CA... Hope you are Ok but I must read it .... see ya !
Post a Comment