So, last night we rode the Metro. Wow! We went down, down, down to the depths of the underground and took the “blue” line. We just counted how many stops were between ours and the one we wanted to get off on, then we lucked out and found enough people that spoke English to point us to the south exit, the street and eventually the Tequila House Restaurant. (A Mexican food restaurant we heard had an English menu) We had the Sodeburgs, Andreas, Amy, Mary, Alex and myself. Alex is our main tour guide-imagine all these adults counting on a ten year old to tell them which way to go? He’s pretty impressive.
The restaurant was a disappointment and very expensive. Ten dollars for chips and salsa and they gave us about 15 chips! But at least it wasn’t traditional Ukraine food. Amy & I have had enough of that for awhile. (Everyone else is new here so they’re not complaining….yet!)
On the way back some guy asks me “Russian or not Russian?”(Mind you, - I was in a well lit area, with plenty of people, heading the opposite direction of him-with two tall American men in our group) and I said in my best French accent. “Not Russian-French.” “France?” he asked? “Yes, we just prefer to speak in English!” The man started laughing as we walked away. I felt so liberated to joke with someone. I miss conversations in passing, hello’s and small talk in the elevators. I miss nods and winks and just confirmation that others are aware of you and understand you. Okay, let’s get off the subject of what I miss.
This morning Alex and I went to the open air market by the SDA and did some last minute souvenir shopping. I got him a cool fork & pocket knife combo for Boy Scouts with a Russian decal. I’m betting there will be no mistaking his silverware with any other boy. He’s pretty excited about it and wanted to use it at the restaurant at lunch but I said no.
Sodeburgs and Mary & Amy found us at the market and then Hanna our first translator met up with us and we walked to TGI Fridays for lunch and it was delicious!! I had a cheese burger. Well worth the walk!
Hana came back to the apartment and I was able to give her the Russian Book of Mormon, Russian Animated Book of Mormon and syrup. It made her tear up! She also helped me get postage and a letter off the Lori’s Bogdan. Thanks Hana! We love you!
I got a call around 3:30 that Oxana had Alex’s passport in hand but needed to fax it to the embassy. I waited about a half hour and called the embassy to confirm they’d received it? Nope. I waiting and called Oxana about 4:30. No answer. I text Oxana and got a “no” haven’t faxed it. I text her I was starting to freak out as it has to be there by 5:00. Lena then called and said it would be faxed within 10-15 minutes. Making it about 4:55 before it would arrive. I was so stressing out but sure enough, it arrived and I confirmed with the embassy it was received and we’re on for tomorrow with Alex’s medical and consulate visit and should have visa’s by the end of business day. Whootwhoo!
Amy & Mary leave tomorrow morning. Horlachers are already on their way to their orphanage and Sodeburgs leave for Dniprozerzink tonight so tomorrow it will be just me and Alex taking care of business and packing to go home! (Do I dare say that out loud?)
And for those of you who have asked about our flight plans:
We leave Kiev at 5:35 AM
Arrive in Frankfurt 7:15 am
Leave Frankfurt 10:35 am (over three hour layover)
Arrive in Chicago 12:30 pm
Leave Chicago: 5:15 pm (almost five hour layover)
Arrive in Salt Lake: 7:45 pm (United Flight 6449) Total travel time with time changes: 23 hours and ten minutes!
This will probably be my last post until I get home as the computer will be going with Amy in the morning.
I need to give a big shout out to Amy & Mary (and Jeff before he left) for hanging with me in Kiev. Thanks ton's. If it were not for you guys I may be in one of those Ukraine mental asylums right now!
And while I'm at it, hugs to my Aunts, Bev, Shirlene & Christine. Thanks for following and commenting so often.
To all the Adoption Way families, my ward friends, my cuz Michelle, the best loan officer in the State of Utah, Corbie and everyone else that has made comments. I appreciate every single one of them.
To Ivan & Snezhana-I'm so happy to add you to our family and look forward to watching you start your own family!
Adoption Way-thanks for always worrying about me and getting me through this crazy system. Especially Oxana-I truly love you.
A HUGE thanks to my Mom & Dad & sister Kammy-who send emails and pictures and see that my babies at home are taken care of. I could not have done this without you and your support.
A thanks to those of you who follow and don't comment too-I appreciate you coming along for the ride.
A special thanks to my four at home for all the text and support and willingness to love a new brother. I know this has been very long and that you are all very ready for life to return to normal-or at least normal as we understand it.
And last but not least a thanks to my husband, James who not only puts up with all my blogging but opened his mind and heart enough to tackle this adventure with me. I love you.
For all of you that have asked, yes-I will still blog-but probably not every day. I actually started blogging long before Alex came into our lives and just think of all the material I'll have to write about as he adjusts and we adjust to him....so if you're interested, stay tuned for the next chapter!
Peace, love & apple dumplings....
Wendy

19 of my blog friends said something...:
Congratulations!!! I can't believe it is finally happening (I bet you can't believe it even more :). Safe travels - see you soon!
You made it! What an amazing woman you are. I'm so excited for your family and the new adventures you are about to have. I look forward to hearing more from the Richhart homefront.
Dare I say I'm a little sad? In fact, I'm crying. Thanks for all your hilarious and also inspiring words. Also thanks for getting that letter off to Bogdan on top of everything else you're trying to do. I hope you have a safe journey home. See you later.
Horray!!! You're on the way home! Hope your trip is smooth.Be safe!!
I will be thinking about you and Alex! Do something fun on your lay over! You are in my prayers! See ya soon! Love ya! I have tears streaming down my face. I don't know if it is because I am so happy for you, or that I will miss running to my computer to see what you have to say everyday! I for sure will keep following your blog, and enjoy the new adventure at home! You would think that since we only live a block away I could follow your life from home and not from a computer huh? Love ya!! Safe travels!
YIPPEEEEE! You are amazing! We are so excited for you and can't wait to meet Alex! I guess that will warrant a visit in the near future! I think Alex would love our pool slide! ;) Travel safe, BFF! Love ya!
Wend...I miss you!! I can't believe how fast the time has gone though. I'm excited to hear all of your exciting details. Your kids look great; grandma, grandpa & Jamesy have been doing a great job. Can't wait to see you & Alex. Safe Travels!!
Wow!!! I can't believe you are really done and coming home. You are a rock. I wouldn't have been able to handle all that you have done being there for so long. 3 weeks almost did us in. I have enjoyed reading your blog and it took me back there so many times. We ate at TGI Fridays too! I'm glad you are going to continue your blog because now the "real" fun begins when you get home. Good Luck! Lucinda
Your one tuff cookie Wendy! Way to go. Off to your new adventure at home! I had more to say at home on my blog then I did in Ukraine, so keep us posted on how you are doing. We all need the support, even the old timers who still keep up with the SAC blogs!
Thoughts and Prayers for a safe return.
YAAAAA! I'm so excited that you get to come home! I look forward to tagging along and following your new adventure.
We'll see you soon! :)
WOW! What a Journey and "Ride!" and so worth it., I know! Congratulations! everyone is happy and excited for you and alex to come home and for your whole family. We Love you! And i hope to come by soon and visit and hopefully meet alex soon or someday!
Loves, Cousin Heidi- Richhart!
have a safe trip home. Loved the blog. By the way, Kambree did a beautiful job dancing in the concert both nights!!
Congratulation ! you made it ! I know the rest will fall in place.. praying for your safety travel and hope you will rest during your flight home...Done these flights many times and they are killers... but these layover are quite long for you ? but you are young and though.. you can do it ! at least you don't fly "Standby" which would really suck ! as I have experienced this a long time ago and would never do it again, even if they pay me.. as I rather stay at home...I will miss reading you each day, but will feel good about you been so close to us by 3 and a half hour drive... verses many hours time change ... God Bless you and Alex and have a safe trip....I love you ! ~Aunt Christine~
I am so happy for you. I hope your travels are safe. You are lucky that everything has gone so well. I hope that alex will adjust well to his new life. It will be fun to watch. Thanks for inviting me into your life. Take care.
Wendy,
Hope you have a safe trip home with your new boy, Alex. That is so
exciting!
Hopefully, you will be reading this after you are home. Is Alex sad at all to be leaving or is he anxious to leave, too? I'll bet he is so happy to be coming to the USA with his mom
Sounds like your kids here will be so happy to welcome him into your family!(And like you,can hardly wait to be reunited with their mom and new brother!)
We need to all get together so we can meet and welcome Alex into our family!(not to overwhelm him, however)He will love living with you and your family.
Fly safely,
Love,
Bev
Congratulations!! I'm so excited to see you back home. Hope the flights are good and uneventful. Get some shut-eye as you prepare for the rigors of being home!
Awesome. We are so happy for your new family. I don’t believe Alex has any idea how blessed he is because of the adoption. It’s been so much fun reading your blog, thanks for doing such a good job. We can’t wait to talk to you and Alex.
-The Howicks
Welcome home Wendy and Alex, now you are finally a whole family! I am inspired by your story. I love you already Alex! I am glad I had a daily look into your life.
Love,
Aunt Diana
welcome home ! stay in touch with the blog ! I am addicted now.... we both are... hugs to Alex.....thank you so so much for your love and caring....
~Aunt Christine~
get some rest......
You made it! It was fun being with you in Kiev. Alex is a great kid and he's going to make you proud. We'll see you in a few weeks.
Post a Comment