Good Day. (Or Dobrey Den is how it sounds in Russian)!
Straders came early this morning, freshened up and had breakfast before heading to court.
I decided to do a little shopping-for a swimsuit of all things-and I’m happy to say that I really think I’ve got a handle on this city. I walked the majority of the way and took a bus at the end. The swim suit quest is another challenge yet to conquer. I found one place selling suits and after trying on a few decided that modesty in swimsuits is not really an option here. I found one that was okay modesty wise but it was so ugly I know I’d never wear it again and I just couldn’t pay $50 for a one time suit. So I’ll keep looking.
I picked up Alex and talked him into going to lunch with me and then we thought we’d go see a movie. Monsters vs Aliens was playing at 4:00 so we kicked around a few stores and then headed to the cinema only to find out they’re only screening it on Saturdays. So we’ll have to try again on Saturday.
It was such a beautiful day that we just walked around window shopping. At one point I came out of a store with Alex and came upon the dirtiest little boy. He was probably about Alex’s age and he had his hand out for money. I asked Alex to ask where his mama was. No mama just a babushka (grandma). I gave him all my change and then a disinfect wipe and had Alex instruct him to wash his hands before I gave him the other half of our pizza that I had in a to-go container. His eyes just lit up. I couldn’t help but give him a little hug. I realized right there and then that there are worse places to live than an orphanage. I had just been thinking how dirty Alex’s hands are and how he’s been wearing the same shirt for four days and I looked at this little boy standing by my little boy and my heart wanted to break. Alex looks loved and cared for. Afterwards Alex slipped his hand into mine and leaned against my shoulder. I think he felt as badly for this little boy as I did.
We did lots of hand holding as there was no one around but us and I got lots of "Thanks mama’s" when we fixed his cell phone (yes, that cost about $2.50) and bought him treats. At one point he tried to carry my heavy bag and he said to me “Thanks Alex.” He’s too funny.
We worked on some English out in the shopping plaza. I’m teaching Alex the ABC song. I figured that is how we all learned the alphabet when we were little. He’s got the beginning and the ending and the middle is just a mumbled mess but he’ll get it. The other thing we did was I would say words and he’d point to what letter they started with and we worked on the sounds of the alphabet.
I forgot to mention that yesterday after our pouting English session that I got a "Sorry Mama." from my boy. A genuine look me right in the eyes "Sorry Mama." He knew he was being a pill and I loved that he owed up to that and apologized.
We took a bus back up to the school as we had walked all the way down to the end of the street and I had already walked a good mile or two earlier. You could tell Alex was nervous about taking the bus. I mean honestly, do you blame him? This new mother of his can't speak a lick of Russian, makes him order for her and do all the talking and now she's putting us on a bus? He watched out the window carefully, observing everything. Luckily it was the right bus and we got off at the right stop. (I already knew it was the right bus but I think Alex had his doubts!)
At the school Julia found us and we played a quick game of Twister which was also a lesson in English because they had to know their colors, their right and left and their hand from their foot.
I left at six as I wanted to be sure to bet back before the sun started setting. Alex saids “No mama seven!” but I explained I had to walk. He gave me big hugs and tried to talk me into coming to the school at nine in the morning. Silly boy. He has school. I then got strict instructions to be there at 2:09! Not 2:10. I’m beginning to think he really likes me.
I did walk all the way home so I think I may have clocked about 5 miles today. Good ‘cause hanging with Alex and Julia is a constant calorie fest!
Constatine is here talking with Oxana and he’s suggested that I stay here and teach English. James and I can build a big house by the river and James can fish and hunt and I can teach English. He says he will miss me when I leave. (I understood all this because Oxana translated it all!) Constantine is a good guy. I’m glad he’s watching out for me.
Well, I left three weeks ago today! Hopefully I'll be home within the next two but that is still questionable. It will all hinge on the passport process.
Straders are heading to Sumy and I heard a rumor that Rasts will be here tomorrow-hurray!
Day four…down!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Day Four of Our Ten Day Wait
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 of my blog friends said something...:
Wendy, did you know the Rasts are blogging? It sounded like maybe you didn't know. Alex just gets cuter and cuter. "Sorry, mama"? How cute is that?
4 days down! Each day it sounds like Alex is bonding more and more with you. He's such a cute kid!
What a sweet relationship you guys are building. I love it!
You sounds like you are having a great day today... You have a great spirit.... soon you will be home..Robert and I sure enjoy reading your blog,Robert always feels bad when kids are neglected... as with his career, he saw way too many kids been ignored and neglected by their parents right here in the USA, but this one takes the toll.... You are a blessed Lady and a "Mother Theresa" WE do keep up with you and love you ~ Aunt Christine ~
I FIGURE OUT WHAT i ASK YOU.... THANKS ANYWAY.. ENJOY YOUR HOTDOG !
Lori-Yes I found Amy's blog and I'm so excited! She's here this morning! This Alex of mine is so darling. I feel like he's been mine his whole life-isn't that weird?
A&C: I sure appreciate your comments and support. Alex is great and I'm so excited for you to finally get your Yulia!
Carlin: You know you're truly the "hero" mother right? Thanks for you sweet comment. I feel like right now we're in that newborn stage where you just figure out all the wonderful things about your baby and as much as you're so happy he's here and healthy you can't wait for him to start talking and telling you his feelings!
Christine-It is hard to see neglect and a part of me wants to take everyone home, everyone deserves a good home and a loving family. Thanks as always for commenting so faithfully.
I LOVE comments-it makes me feel like you are all not so far away!
Wendy
I love reading your blog. That little boy is really blessed to have you and James for parents!!!
Keep up with the English; Good Luck!
Bev
Post a Comment