Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 22nd/Day 36

What is that saying about the best laid plans?
Apparently, I'm not coming home on Friday.
Alex's passport photo (as well as every passport photo taken in Dniproprotrosk that day) did not turn out and has to be re-taken. And although, the picture is taken in Diniproprotrosk and sent to Keiv and then sent back to Dniproprotrosk and I am currently IN Kiev I cannot get this fixed here. Alex and I are now back on the night train to get his picture taken at nine tomorrow morning and then BACK on the night train AGAIN to get back here.
BUT there's more....
Now we have another three working days from tomorrow before the passport will be finished making it MONDAY before we will have the passport and then Tuesday we can go the embassy and fly home on WEDNESDAY!!
The question you're asking might be, did you cry?
OF COURSE!!!
I tried hard not to let Alex see me but I couldn't help the tears from streaming down my face. Poor Irina and Lena (my translator) who had to deliver the bad news. I called Amy and cried to her and then pleaded for her to stay with me in Kiev as I think I might be going insane!! She was coming to Keiv already to drop off Jeff and pick up her friend and we arranged to take the night train Thursday back to Keiv together. (Yes, Andreas-take the train it is so much cheaper than driving AND safer too! Plus it's an adventure!)
Amy's friend Mary is coming in Sunday and my Ukraine BFF Amy has agreed to stay with me through Tuesday. We're going to share my apartment and honestly she is an angel. The idea of staying alone and attempting to entertain Alex for FIVE days more was really pushing me over the edge! Not that he isn't the sweetest boy in the world but we're both bored and ready to come home! (I did break out the Game Boy today-I was saving it for the plane ride home but I figured, I'll have Amy, Jeff and Mary-he needs something too!)
So I am at the Internet cafe-again-trying to rearrange my flight plans-again! I will be here when Sodeburgs and Horlachers get here, that is a bright spot in all this and I made Amy promise to not let me cry and be a party pooper.
I'm working on finding church here on Sunday, that will help.
By the time I leave, I will have been here six weeks and one day. (But who's counting?)
My BFF and husband James leaves for two weeks of work the morning before I get back. We will have not seen each other for five weeks by the time he gets back. Good thing we had those 17 straight days in Ukraine together. I told James between my sobs this morning that I feel like I'm a pregnant overdue woman and every extra day feels like a week! He had a few choice words to say about the Ukraine government that I will not repeat on this family friendly sight.
Alex is entertaining himself by looking at the items on the street market outside. He came and asked me for 20 gryvna and came back with a "Suprise Mama" and made me close my eyes. He bought me a beautiful wooden trivet for my kitchen then he asked for more gryna and came back with surprises for Papa and Babooska. I won't say what they are as to not spoil his surprise but is he sweet or what?
Tonight on the train we do not have a private compartment and will be sharing with two other people. That will be interesting, I just hope they are regular bathers. (Don't scoff-it's not a common occurrence here-bathing!)
Thanks for the comments and emails. You are my life line to home.
Someday I'll look back and this will have been a blink, today it feels like a black eye but someday, a blink.

14 of my blog friends said something...:

Jen said...

Oh, Wendy, I'm so sorry! I think I would have cried too. I saw James on Monday. He looked good and happy to be back with the kids. But he had a few things to tell me too. Hang in there. It really is almost over and it will seem like a blink some day...:)

Kimberly said...

5 more days! I would have cried too! But hang in there. You'll be home before you know it! Then maybe we should get working on a Johnson family reunion for this summer so the whole family can get to know Alex. I know that there are a lot of people wanting to meet him!

Corbie said...

First off, if you need to say things about the Ukrainian Government, just send them my way and I will put them on my blog - you know how I like to keep mine only semi family friendly (that was me interjecting some humor :)

Now, on a more serious note, I would have absolutely bawled my eyes out. I'm not trying to make things worse...only to empathize. In my mind, hell is not a fiery, hot place. It is instead a place where the days pass slowly and everyone around me speaks another language (my need to communicate, like yours, is a driving force in my soul).

I am so so so sorry you are stuck there but I'm putting it on my to-do list to help keep you entertained. Don't be surprised if you get riddles and tidbits and random thoughts ad nauseam.

Hang in there!

xoxo
Corbie

snakeriverwalton said...

Hang in there. It sounds so frustrating to jump through so many hoops!

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Wendy- I am so so sorry! but, hang in there you and Alex will be home soon. Your in our prayers. We love you!

Shannon said...

D'oh! I mean Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday! Crossing my fingers that it will be over soon!

At least your ankles aren't swollen, you haven't gained 50 lbs and you can still tie your own shoes?! Right? Not making you feel any better... I try!

Lori said...

It will be okay, Wendy. Five days is such a short time in the ocean of eternity!

Michelle said...

Oh, my dear cuz! Of course you cried! Hello, I would have cried at the yellow toilet paper!!! Just look up, that helps! hehehe!! :) But, you will be fine! You are so strong! Think happy thoughts. Like how much you are loved and how much more you will be appreciated when you get home! Sorry I can't be there to help you entertain Alex. Okay, so maybe I'm not that entertaining, but I do speak English, so you'd have someone to talk to! Hang in there, you'll be home soon! Love ya!

Carlin said...

Find Troy. Their new apt phone number is +380445166288 he is really struggling and would probably love to get the kids together. Tatiana's got a lot more problems than I even guessed when I was there. He is supposed to be deposed next week so they are really pushing to get things tomorrow, but it's not looking too great. So if he is there over the weekend you'll all really have to get together. I'll let you know tomorrow what things look like.

Christine B. said...

Dearest Wendy.
Robert and I have been following you all the way, Robert is appalled too by this Government.. he feels so bad for you but he admire you very much and me too of course.. Don't cry, please, as you say it will be over soon...These kind of countries will always give you the run around... Please, keep in mind that WE ARE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY IN OUR THOUGHTS! believe me, this has been our point of conversation these last few days...I miss seeing you and hope soon you will come and ride the horses with Alex as we love to meet him....Love ya ! I will check on you as soon as we get home... yep ! our vacation had to end...

Andreas said...

Wendy, our hearts are breaking for you. We will know all too soon where you are at. Thanks for preparing us for what we are up against.

On the bright side, you'll get to so many people in Kiev this weekend - Troy, Amy, Mary, Carrie and I, Leslie and her husband. I'm thinking a Sunday night fireside is in order so we can all get this first hand from you, tears and all. The theme of the fireside can be "All Things Ukrainian". lol

P.S. If you want me to take a look at your computer when I am there, let me know. Yes, I am a computer nerd by profession.

Sandy Helm said...

Ambien is our friend!! I am glad you got some sleep. I remember an old saying my dad said "Patience, in time, grass becomes milk."
You certianly have more than I would have had. As the Lord said, I never said it would be easy, I said it would be worth it. Please know we are all praying for your safety and that things will work for you. I check your blog several times a day to see if you have updated, you are keep us entertained over here. At least you are not in a basement working. You get to see sunshine. ha ha.
This too shall pass....

Stacy said...

I would have cried too. I know that your family is excited to get you home as are we. Hang in there and we will see you soon!

Shirlene said...

Oh Wendy!.............I am so sorry you have to be there longer. Hang in there. There are lots of people praying for you and excited to see you again! Just remember it will all be worth it!!!
Keep your chin up! You are in our thoughts and prayers! Love you!:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails