Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day Eight Of Ten

Well, shopping wasn’t all the great, however it was fun to laugh and talk with Amy. We ended up finding some sun and sitting and chatting while Oxana, Masha and Natasha shopped. It was sunny but cold so we had a ladies brunch and herbal tea. Amy and I shared the yummiest pancakes stuffed with apples and one stuffed with cream cheese drizzled in vanilla and chocolate sauce.
We invited Masha to the movie with us but she informed us in her deep Russian accent. “I don’t do horror movies.” I looked at her a little stunned. “We’re seeing “Monsters vs Aliens” and it’s a Disney film. Animated?” Nope she’s having nothing to do with this HORROR flick.
Funny story Amy shared about Masha. (Oh, dang! I need to post a picture so you can see her. I have one but it’s blurry!) So Masha wears really thick glasses and she tells Jeff she can’t play sports because it will make her eye sight worse. (What the heck?) Jeff tries to tell her that it won’t but she’s convinced. Why? Because everyone that plays sports poorly, wears glasses. (Amy did I repeat this right?) She is too funny.
Then we went to the school. The school kept boasting to Amy they had a stadium that she could run around (this awe inspiring mom is training for a triathlon!) I had to laugh as I knew what they were talking about. It’s a dirt track around the dirt soccer field. So we walked to the back of the property to show her. The kids were out and soon we were swarmed with children. Many seem so hungry for attention. It was hard on Amy as this was her first hands on time with the masses.
We started up a game of Red Light/Green Light and Alex soon disappears. He really doesn’t get into group play. I saw him sitting on the steps by himself. I know he really hates it here, he always say’s “No mama, lets go.” when I try to spend time at the school with the other kids. At first I just thought he didn’t want to compete for mine or James attention but today I just felt the sadness he feels belonging to this group and how he wants to distance himself and his mother from them. When you look at Alex he doesn’t look like he belongs here. (In fact most our kids that traveled to Utah don’t look like the average student here! I think they sent us the cream of the crop.) Not all but many of the children are filthy dirty, clamor for your attention, and have oblivious speech & learning disabilities. So I suggested we go buy some banana’s. I shouted to Amy we were leaving and I took both Julia’s with me. Amy and Jeff soon followed with their two girls and Luiba & that cute girl Karinia that I took a picture of.
The store we normally haunt was closed so we made the mile long trek to the big store, stopping of course for hot dogs in a scone. (I just had a scone donut) Then we loaded up on treats at the store and walked to the park. This time with smaller kids the park was more fun. We did have to pay 1/2 a grynva (6 cents) per child to get into the playground but they had a fun time. Alex & Jeff were out numbered about 4 to one!
Amy found a kiwi in her coat pocket. One of the little girls had been wearing her coat in the grocery store and kifed a kiwi. We were too afraid to make her return it to the store (because maybe we would be arrested?) but we didn't let the child have it. (There are going to be lots of things to teach these children!)
Again, the day was chilly and we were happy to head to the movie theater and get out of the cold. The movie theater was surprising nice. It was clean and the seats were comfy and the sound and picture were good but it was FREEZING too! That little Karina didn’t have anything but a long sleeve shirt on and she might weigh 25 pounds. I had my coat on and Alex’s coat draped over me-as he’s never freezing. I pulled Katrina on my lap about half way through and wrapped her in Alex’s coat not only to warm her but to warm me! (I would have grabbed Alex but I think he’s trying to look cool around all these girls!)
Afterwards we ran up part of the street to try and get warm heading back to the school. When we got there we were herded upstairs where they were having a puppet show. I could hear Alex saying “No mama, let’s go” but I was heading to the lovely-hole in the floor-bathroom as our group was going up the stairs. By the time I got up there everyone was seated. I had to walk in right at the front and make my way to the back and children are waving and saying “hi” like I'm a celebrity as I’m trying to discreetly slip to the back. Alex saw me and comes and sits next to me and begins pleading. “Let’s go Mama.” I’m thinking I already made a big scene coming in and there isn’t a rear exit but then I smell the room full of dirty children and observe the puppet show-which I can’t understand and I’ve just sat through a movie I couldn’t understand and I’m with Alex, let’s go! We make the march back up the front and out the door. The teachers monitoring the door look puzzled. I tell them “English lessons” and grab Alex’s hand and walk away. Alex looks at me with concern and I wink. Then he whispers, “No English?” and I nod. I think I scored points with the boy today!
We played cards and Alex ate FOUR banana’s and then the Rast came back down with their girls as the puppet show was over.
We tried to brainstorm what to do tomorrow. I wanted to go to Dniproprotrosk but really don’t want to go if the weather is this chilly. I would like to see Ivan & Snezhana and go to church but we’re not sure regular church will be held this week as I was told that Conference will be televised a week late. So I think we’re just going to stay at the school. Amy’s going to bring lunch and we’re going to play games and watch movies. It will be a long day but our goal is to NOT go the store.
So glad the Rast are here, glad the Bunch’s will be here soon but I’m ecstatic that Alex and I will be leaving for home in what I hope will be two weeks or less!
Tonight is Kambree’s junior prom. I so wish I was there to help her get ready and take pictures and go up to the Capital and video her promenade. I know she’ll look stunning. Have fun sweetheart! I’ll be thinking about you.
Easter is tomorrow but here they don’t celebrate until next week during Orthodox Easter. Many Orthodox people fast for a month (?) before Easter and don’t eat any dairy, eggs or meat.
Oh and remember that kiwi? Amy had handed it to me at some point and I had slipped it in my coat pocket and then forgotten about it and had a little tickle/wrestle/razberry's on the tummy session with Alex. While making my chilly walk to the bus stop I slipped my hand in my pocket and found it full of smashed kiwi! Good grief...

4 of my blog friends said something...:

Carlin said...

That's so great you've found some fun activities to do. Troy and I were always looking for some kind of "flea' market and never came across any... too bad Alex doesn't like shopping. Wow and only two more days!

Michelle said...

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Easter! Wish I could have been there to take pictures for you of Kambree! We should have thought about that one! I would have even just went up for the day. I'm sure she was stunning. You have a beautiful family, including Alex. Everyone who sees your family photo asks if he and Rylee might be twins! Can't wait until you get home! Luv ya!

Christine B. said...

Finally ! I was worried as I keep on checking in... wow ! some story! well keep reading your blog, even from Mexico..... leaving tonight...

Christine B. said...

HAPPY EASTER !

Related Posts with Thumbnails