Last night was like a reunion of Adoption Way families! We had Sodebergs and Horlachers at our apartment. We were just missing a few of you! It was weird to think about organizing our luncheons in Utah and now being here together in Ukraine. We laughed and told stories and poor Alex went upstairs and tried to watch Russian TV but we were so loud. He’s got to be so very bored. I at least have people to talk to. He is the only child around and although speaking more and more English everyday, it can’t be easy for him.
We went to the park this morning and Amy & Mary ran and I put on my IPod and took a brisk walk. I found a step hill to walk up and down. It was warm and I was able to wear my gym clothes and break a sweat. Alex brought his soccer ball and kicked it around and then showed off his hill climbing skills. He was like a mountain goat but then decided he could ride down the steep hill on his shoes. I yelled “No Alex!” but too late, he made it about 1/4th of the way down and then fell forward on his belly and body surfed all the way to the bottom, barley missing a tree at the bottom. Who needs brisk walking to get your heart rate up when you have Alex around? He jumped and said “Cool hu?” No, not cool my boy, you could have been killed! He was so dirty-and in a new shirt and clean jeans by the way! So we found Amy and Mary and headed home for all of us to shower and change.
We decided to take Mary to the Ukraine buffet, which is like a Chuck A Rama only you pay for each item and you recognize very few of them. She got a little cup of what she thought was porridge but Alex was making pig noises and pointing to Mary. She did have quite a lot of food so I told him to be nice and then I realized he was not pointing at Mary but her little cup of “porridge”- which I had tasted and it didn’t taste at all like porridge-and then I realized what he was trying to tell us, pig fat! That’s what Mary had, pig fat like the appetizer we had at our lunch celebration after court. Needless to say, she nor Amy would even try it. Everyone thanked Alex for enlightening them.
I forgot to mention that yesterday during church some Asia people walked in and Alex pointed to them and made karate movements. Discretion is something we’ll have to work on. He also imitates fat people, drunk people and crazy people.
While making our cookies last night Amy and Mary were eating some cookie dough and Alex took the bowl away and then did a great pantomime about how Amy would choke and die from eating cookie dough. He was hilarious.
Last night he said the sweetest prayer. We take turns and for the first time I really felt like he was praying and not just saying random words to appease me. Then he asked me to sing him songs and tickle his face, then he sang me a song and tickled my face. He has a very sweet singing voice, I just wish I could understand the words to his songs.
So the verdict is in, NO PASSPORT today. It’s done. Just not delivered until tomorrow. So that will delay me yet another day. I’m working on re-arranging my flight for Thursday. I refuse to cry. I’m done crying, what’s another day…right? (Picture me with a fake smile and glazed over eyes while making this statement.)
We found missionary’s in the mall today both from Utah and both are going home within the next couple months. They gave us their home phone numbers just in case we need translators when we get home. They also said they’d be willing to translate the discussions for our children. (Kambree, they were both very cute…but way to old for you!)
We’re sitting in our apartment trying to figure out what to do this evening. We were invited to FHE with the single LDS people here by the missionary’s. But we heard there is a wonderful Mexican food place here that we’re trying to locate. We’re hoping to hook up with the Sodebergs and Horlachers for dinner. But they won’t appreciate Mexican food like we will right now!
Sometimes I write these post and think, what is there to say? Just more of the same. If feels like Ground Hog day over and over again. At least I have people around me and I can’t thank you all enough for your comments from home on my blog, my email and my Facebook.
Two more post and we should be on the plane!

7 of my blog friends said something...:
You are so close! Hang in there cuz! Luv ya!
YAY!!! What an exciting day Thursday will be, to get on the plane and make your way back to the wonderful USA! We can't wait to see you.
My heart sank when you said no passport today...I'm sorry. I just wrote you an email with hopes that you had what you needed. Are Strader's taking as long as yours has taken?
Pig fat for an appetizer? I can think of a lot better ones, almost any appetizer will do!!!!Thank goodness Alex saved you from it!!!
Good to have him help you along, eh?
See you soon!!!
Wendy, did you end up finding that Mexican restaurant? I finally had a burrito today for lunch, it was worth the wait! Are you going to take Mary & Leslie to experience the Sauna? Besides, don't you and Amy want to try the caffeinated rub?
Very funny Jeff! No, I don' think we'll go to the sauna, besides what would we do with Alex? Bring him along?
We did find the Mexican Food place and it was bland and expensive. But at least it was different!
Pig fat ~ Wow~ they don't even allow this in some other countries....You are really on the countdown.. Robert was asking... are you waiting for the USA Passport or UK? as I am thinking that it got to be the UK, for the way you get the round around. not? best wishes to you , and I am thinking of you..on the flight home, are you going through Munich then on NY and SLC? just wondering... love ya ! Aunt Christine
Post a Comment