That's a line from "Music Man". I played Maud (one of the trickling fountain ladies) about eleven summers ago. This line has always stuck with me and we've had so much good news lately that I thought it very appropriate for my blog title today!
1st off: Kambree was selected out of hundreds for a finalist interview for the Ambassador scholarship at Snow. She made her appointment to go down for the interview but then found out that she cannot be on the drill team AND be an ambassador. I asked her what she wanted most. To dance. Then there's your answer, call them back and politely decline the invitation. Which she did. So the good news was that she was selected as a finalist, not so good she can't participate but even better, we're done with scholarships applications and interviews! (Now she just has to focus on making the money for the rest of tuition, books and housing!)
#2 The school called and has agreed to test Alex! They're going to test him in three area's speech, social/behavior and intellectual/cogitative. This is based on the last batch of papers (including Amy's findings) and documents I sent! I found his translated medical records in our pile of adoption paper work that I tossed in a folder and never looked at. In it it said he had a class III speech disorder requiring medical, social, and educational follow up. Apparently the school needed some sort of documentation to do testing as they cannot assume that all new language learners have learning disability's-that would be discrimination. Lot's of bureaucracy in this area of schooling. Whatever. I'm just glad they're going to test him and with any luck he'll get more one on one or special needs help IN school.
#3 Even better than that my good friend and client (also with the fabulous name of Wendy) suggested Alex get some tutoring through her workplace. Only problem is, it's very expensive. My sweet friend talked to her boss and there may be a grant available for Alex as he's so new to the country? I'm so excited! I'm going to contact her boss today and see what we need to do. If the school testing doesn't come through, then I'll make arrangements to pull him out of school and have him tutored DURING school as opposed to more time out of school. If the testing does qualify him for more help in school then I'll just arrange for tutoring outside of school. And hopefully this will be something we can continue with through the summer! Oh, I feel such relief. When talking with the principal he told me I was a good advocate for Alex. Pesky Mother Bear is probably a more appropriate title but I'll take what I can get!
#4 My good friends son, Karen just got his mission call to England! What a great place! You get to go foreign WITHOUT learning a new language! (A new dialect, yes. But girls love English accents! What a bonus.) We love the Burton's. Kambree and Mathew have known each other since they were two and three. We lived next door to them in West Jordan. We're so happy for Matthew and the decision he's made to go on a mission! (Karen-I know you read my blog faithfully-you are a fabulous mother and friend! Congrats! You can do this!)
#5 Spring is coming! My pussy-willow tree is budding, my daffodils are starting to come up and our one year anniversary of going to Ukraine and getting Alex is rapidly approaching. Friends of ours are leaving Saturday to get their second daughter from Ukraine. I can't wait to watch their journey. She promised to blog lots-you can follow her on my side bar-Drew & Jen Benson. They adopted Anastassia last summer but her older sister Masha (I think she'll be going by Maria?) didn't have her paperwork filed properly in Ukraine and they have all had to wait to bring her home. It's been a long road. I'm sure they'll be so excited to unite this two sisters and complete their family. Please include them in your prayers.
Well, I'm off for a not so great appointment-my first-a mammogram. Boo. It's hard enough watching your babies grow up, go on dates, off to college and on missions but do I have to get my chest squashed too? Grrr.....
(Sorry if I've offended any of my male readers. I think it's only Andreas so I guess I should just apologize to him? If there are any more male readers-my apologies to you as well!)
Have a glorious day!
1st off: Kambree was selected out of hundreds for a finalist interview for the Ambassador scholarship at Snow. She made her appointment to go down for the interview but then found out that she cannot be on the drill team AND be an ambassador. I asked her what she wanted most. To dance. Then there's your answer, call them back and politely decline the invitation. Which she did. So the good news was that she was selected as a finalist, not so good she can't participate but even better, we're done with scholarships applications and interviews! (Now she just has to focus on making the money for the rest of tuition, books and housing!)
#2 The school called and has agreed to test Alex! They're going to test him in three area's speech, social/behavior and intellectual/cogitative. This is based on the last batch of papers (including Amy's findings) and documents I sent! I found his translated medical records in our pile of adoption paper work that I tossed in a folder and never looked at. In it it said he had a class III speech disorder requiring medical, social, and educational follow up. Apparently the school needed some sort of documentation to do testing as they cannot assume that all new language learners have learning disability's-that would be discrimination. Lot's of bureaucracy in this area of schooling. Whatever. I'm just glad they're going to test him and with any luck he'll get more one on one or special needs help IN school.
#3 Even better than that my good friend and client (also with the fabulous name of Wendy) suggested Alex get some tutoring through her workplace. Only problem is, it's very expensive. My sweet friend talked to her boss and there may be a grant available for Alex as he's so new to the country? I'm so excited! I'm going to contact her boss today and see what we need to do. If the school testing doesn't come through, then I'll make arrangements to pull him out of school and have him tutored DURING school as opposed to more time out of school. If the testing does qualify him for more help in school then I'll just arrange for tutoring outside of school. And hopefully this will be something we can continue with through the summer! Oh, I feel such relief. When talking with the principal he told me I was a good advocate for Alex. Pesky Mother Bear is probably a more appropriate title but I'll take what I can get!
#4 My good friends son, Karen just got his mission call to England! What a great place! You get to go foreign WITHOUT learning a new language! (A new dialect, yes. But girls love English accents! What a bonus.) We love the Burton's. Kambree and Mathew have known each other since they were two and three. We lived next door to them in West Jordan. We're so happy for Matthew and the decision he's made to go on a mission! (Karen-I know you read my blog faithfully-you are a fabulous mother and friend! Congrats! You can do this!)
#5 Spring is coming! My pussy-willow tree is budding, my daffodils are starting to come up and our one year anniversary of going to Ukraine and getting Alex is rapidly approaching. Friends of ours are leaving Saturday to get their second daughter from Ukraine. I can't wait to watch their journey. She promised to blog lots-you can follow her on my side bar-Drew & Jen Benson. They adopted Anastassia last summer but her older sister Masha (I think she'll be going by Maria?) didn't have her paperwork filed properly in Ukraine and they have all had to wait to bring her home. It's been a long road. I'm sure they'll be so excited to unite this two sisters and complete their family. Please include them in your prayers.
Well, I'm off for a not so great appointment-my first-a mammogram. Boo. It's hard enough watching your babies grow up, go on dates, off to college and on missions but do I have to get my chest squashed too? Grrr.....
(Sorry if I've offended any of my male readers. I think it's only Andreas so I guess I should just apologize to him? If there are any more male readers-my apologies to you as well!)
Have a glorious day!

5 of my blog friends said something...:
Andreas can handle it! All things are falling into place...I'm so glad for you! I keep thinking of your beautiful temple pictures.
I got your post. I am more than happy to help. And even if Alex can be exasperating, I have Tanner so I can handle anything!
Good Luck to Alex with his Testing! Way to go Kambree for being invited to be a Ambassador at Snow., and Good Luck to you Wendy! and Austin have fun on your date.
Hey, I got mentioned by name in your blog. Woot!! lol...you've got quite the following and we always enjoy reading your posts. I should follow your example a little more.
Thanks for the plea for prayers! We will blog lots, since that is one of the only fun things to do over there. I hope to hear from everyone back home, as you know, it seems to be your only link to home and I know I'm going to need that! I'll see you in six weeks!
Post a Comment