Hum....the Too True Tuesday Topic this week is things we indulge in.
That's tricky.
That's tricky.
You all know I'm cheap, right? I mean I did that post on how we try to save money and I even proudly displayed my coupon success at the grocery -complete with pictures-so admitting I have indulgences is sort of hypocritical but since it's time for the truth....
I have certain name brand products I buy that I don't care what they cost, they're the best.
Crisco Shortening
Skippy or Jiff Peanut Butter
Surf or Tide Laundry degergent
Clorox Bleach
Professional shampoo and conditioner\
and
GOOD hairspray (like the $12 can of Big Hair)
The rest, I can go generic on. Who cares? My friend Lori's son did a science experiement on if cookies prepared with all generic ingredients taste different/worse than those prepared with name brand ingredients and the results were the generic verison actually got MORE votes. (Which doesn't validate my need for Crisco but that's okay.)
But I don't really consider these few name brand products indulgences. Necessities, actually.
Some personal indulgences I would never go with out are:
COLORING MY HAIR
COLORING MY HAIR
I tried it. Tried to imagine my silvery roots were actually highlights. I know it's chemicals and dye-can't possible be good for you-I mean for goodness sake they're now recommending not coloring your hair during your first trimester of pregnancy so certainly this is something I should avoid and go green etc. But I couldn't stand it!! Yuck. My hair looked dirty and old and just (insert shudder right here!). I'm a brunette darn it! You blonds out there just don't understand. A few silvery/gray hairs in your head don't stand out like a neon beacon saying "Look at me, I'm getting old!!!" We poor brunette's notice EVERY SINGE ONE!
HEATED SEATS
I know, what a baby. But I LOVE my heated seats. I worry that I'll wear the drivers side out. I don't think I turn it off October-March. I also LOVE my automatic start in my car. Perhaps it's because I have an early am-as in it's still dark and none of my neighbors lights are on in their homes early- gym person and I start my car-with the garage door open of course-while I fill my water bottle, tie my shoes and then (yawn) leave to get my girlfriend for the gym. (The important thing to note here is that I am leaving to GET my girlfriend-going on my own? Not an option. I need peer pressure to get me out of my bed at this time each morning!) If it's not my turn to drive my friends car is usually adequately warm before they pick me up and they each (I rotate between to fabulous friends MWF & TTH) have heated seats too! Yes, heated seats, auto starts.....defiantly indulgences!
400+ THREAD COUNT SHEETS
Another indulgence. I grew up knowing that you just didn't buy under 200 thread count but my first pair of 400 count....oh, my, yummy!
ELECTRIC BLANKET
Okay, maybe something is wrong with my internal temperature but between my heated seats and my electric blanket on my bed I don't know which one I could give up. Especially when James is gone. I just crank that blanket to high before I get in bed and have toasty warm blankets.....oh, la, la! I have electric blankets on everyone's bed as I think it's that necessary. But I don't know that anyone uses their blanket like I do. I know for a fact James NEVER uses his side. Which is fine, when my side wears out, I'll just flip the blanket over and use his! See? I'm still frugal....right?
ELECTRIC BLANKET
Okay, maybe something is wrong with my internal temperature but between my heated seats and my electric blanket on my bed I don't know which one I could give up. Especially when James is gone. I just crank that blanket to high before I get in bed and have toasty warm blankets.....oh, la, la! I have electric blankets on everyone's bed as I think it's that necessary. But I don't know that anyone uses their blanket like I do. I know for a fact James NEVER uses his side. Which is fine, when my side wears out, I'll just flip the blanket over and use his! See? I'm still frugal....right?
Anyone else want to play along? Come on, what are YOUR indulgences!?

3 of my blog friends said something...:
OK - I even use a hot water bottle, having given up the electric blanket....HOWEVER, we tried the generic sweet-rolls-in-a-tube and they were noticeably awful. Otherwise, except for those now, and DIET COKE, generic works for me.
I also have to get my hair colored. Have to.
Well, I can do my own hair, but you're right my roots don't just look gray, they look old and raggedy too. I had heated seats in a car once, it was amazing. We must have the same internal temperature issues, I have an electric blanket that I sit on in my recliner in front of the TV. I have had that going on.... 7? 8? years now. NOt the same one of course because they only last one winter!
Okay, okay, you got me on the hair coloring. I'd look 80 if I didn't color my hair. But I do it myself (with Marissa's splendid help). So it's still the frugal way!!!What will I do when she moves away?
Post a Comment